Are me and baby safe? shingles question.

hulahoop09

Mum to lg and pg #2
Reaction score
Hiya

So came into work this morn and my manager has shingles. Now i believe i had chickenpox when i was a baby and also about 4 yrs ago when my immune system was low. Are me and baby safe against shingles? I think i maybe but am still worried as i am obviously going to see my manager each day at work!

Xx

If you are immune to chicken pox, you are safe. If you aren't sure you are immune, go get an antibody titer. You do not want chicken pox while pregnant.

I thought it meant you are immune if you have had but ive had twice so not sure. Also would doctors just do a test like that, would take me a wk before i.can get in for one i think, Im a tad worried now!

Shouldn't your manager be off work while he is contageous? I would be upset about that and complain. Chicken pox is dangerous to anyone with a supressed immune system and I think ours are suppressed while we are pregnant.

I would double check and make sure to ask questions.

I should add that if you have had it, you should be fine but your manager should consider all those around him that he comes into contact with

She is here and asked if I had already had chicken pox and said I should be ok as I have had it twice but I am no questionning it! We work in a doctors surgery aswell!! I may call my own doctors and ask them or the MW. I am at the doctors in the morn also so may double check.

xx

glad this has come up as my sister has it at the moment, i also had it when i was younger but not sure if i am supposed to be around her or not?

I'm pretty sure that you can't catch shingles from someone else - they've got it because the virus remained in their system and became active again, if that makes sense?
It is possible to catch chickenpox from them if you're not immune, but the risk is lower if it's shingles rather than chickenpox.
I looked up this for you;

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1110.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=137

By the sounds of it you should be fine. Having said that I don't get why he's in work!

Thanks! I am not too sure why she has come in. I darent ask. Lol. It just had me worried because I have had chickenpox twice and was worried incase got it again while pregnant!!!

xx

I have just spoke to MW and she said its a bit unreasonable that the person came to work but I should be ok but to keep away from the person as much as I can!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->