Are naps needed to stop drying up?

AliKitts

Reaction score
My doctor told me to have 3 naps a day to keep my breast milk from drying up, is this true? Its hard for me to do with a 6 year old and a baby who feeds every 5 minutes. Any advice? Im super concerned that my milk will dry up and i would be devastated

Never heard this! But I suppose if you are not well rested and over stressed it could put a strain on milk production. However the human race would have died out long ago if not getting three naps dried up breast milk!!!!

I consider myself lucky if I get a nap a week since going back to work! And I went back at 8 weeks, so I'd say it's not true. Most likely, the point is just that you aren't likely to make as much milk when you're exhausted.

I have heard that of you can rest it will help. But you don't need to nap to have a good supply. I got hardly any sleep when I had my 2nd had had a great supply :)

You don't need to nap to stop from drying up. I have not had a nap since 2 weeks after my 2year old was born and we are still BFing.

Sounds like a great excuse to have a lie down tho lol!!!

I am literally exhausted to the point my eyes are playing tricks on me and I have low supply and a 6 month old who will take no other fluid other than breast milk hence me being up all night feeding every 2 hours :-/

It's rubbish made up by formula companies. No mum can get that many naps a day and they know it full well, then when baby goes through a growth spurt she will think it's low supply caused by the lack of naps and their hope is a mother will feel it's her fault and start supplementing with formula. Some formula company websites, even here in the UK where we have strict laws about formula promotion even say similar things to what your doctor told you, even nowadays. I manage to sleep well at night while BF even if my sleep is broken up sometimes but as for daytime naps those are a rarity! Even when hubby is here I have an absolutely crazy almost three-year-old who even gives him the run around, so unless he is sleeping (rare these days) I cannot nap at all xx

3 a day is crazy! I think I managed to have maybe 2 or 3 naps in total with my 2nd and he was getting plenty of milk (chubba baby :). Naps are good but not essential and quite difficult when there are other kids around. If you do manage to get time to squeeze a nap in (if 6 year old is in school?) then lie down in bed with bubs and feed at the same time. Also co-sleeping at night is a great way to build up supply and you get much more sleep that way too.

Haha!! God i hope not. My last nap i think phoebe was about 2 months old. She doesnt nap and wants constant entertaining!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->