Are these contractions?

Kern

Reaction score
With my son I never really felt a contraction (thanks epidural!) and lately I've been noticing a weird thing and wonder if this is normal or if I should tell my ob tomorrow

To describe it as best I can, its in my lower stomach, right about my pubic bone, it feels like it gets really tight, or hard? Like something is contracting, and at the same time I feel shortness of breath. It probably lasts 30 seconds or less and is not very frequent, it comes randomly but I probably feel it at least 10 times a day. Is that a contraction? It doesn't hurt, just takes my breath away until it's done. Should I be worried?:shrug:

They could be braxton hicks? I didn't have them with my first but did all the time with my 2nd from around 30 weeks. 17 weeks is early but possible. x

That sounds like braxton hicks, the fact they're not painful is good. Try drinking water and lying on your side if you have a spell of them.

Braxton hicks, as others have said. When contractions are real, there's no mistaking them.

First timer here. I've had a couple of these, but fairly randomly placed. Also sounds like what happens post orgasm. :blush: I told my OB but he wouldn't confirm or deny BH, and the nurse gave me an ultrasound. But nothing was wrong and my friends said BH. I'm going to go with BH, myself. I think the OB thought I was saying they were painful because I called them 'cramps' when really I just couldn't think of any other way to describe it. Braxton Hicks shouldn't be painful.

I can't speak for what a real contraction feels like, very much not there yet. :)

As long as there is no routine in them, I wouldn't panic. If they do get in to a routine or really hurt or your bleeding etc, then seek advice.

I didn't get any BH with DD but they started around 18 weeks this time.

Apparently Brixton hicks dont hurt but alot of mine were painful/really uncomftable with dd2.x

I'm only 16 weeks and started having these too and feel like the Braxton Hicks I got with my daughter. First time round I didn't get them until a lot later though!

Thanks everyone! I agree with you, they are probably Braxton hicks. Very relieved! The shortness of breath bothers me a little but it doesn't last and isn't regular so I'll just keep an eye on it and not worry as much. :haha:

The shortness of breath with BH is normal, as far as I know. Had it with both pregnancies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->