Are wonder weeks real?

LoveCakes

Reaction score
Neither of mine followed these at all, they did have times their behaviour changed but it didn't match the app. They did follow the physical growth spurts though.

I have always wondered if it's a bit like astrology where it 'works' for a percentage of people who are vocal about it.

I realise a lot of people will find it matches their child but when kids talk/roll/sit up at very different times how can a specific week in development be pinned down?

Also when your child has a fussy phase it's comforting to know there's an end in sight?

Opinions/ experiences?

I don't believe in it at all, every child is different and non of mine have followed these so called wonder weeks!

I also think they are a bit like horoscopes. They could apply to almost any baby if you really wanted to imo

I would say, yes, sort of. I think it's normal to go through more difficult periods when there is a big developmental jump. I still notice it with my nearly 4 year old. She'll have a week when she's really miserable and difficult (when she's otherwise really lovely and easy), and then by the next week, she's doing something totally new and obviously it was related to development. But no, I think it's rubbish to have some theory that all kids go through exactly the same developmental phase in exactly the same 7 day period. So the idea that week 16 or whatever is a wonder week I think is sort of just made up to sell a book. But whatever happens in that week when there is loads of developing going on, even if it's week 20 for you, probably does turn things upside down though. At the same time, I think when people spend money on something, they probably want to buy into it, so they find ways to convince themselves it really is happening in a given week, but don't notice what happens 3 weeks later because it isn't a 'wonder week.'

My son didn't follow them at all. I also remember reading loads on the 4 month sleep regression and getting really worried as my son slept through at that stage and we were going away when he was 4 months. It never happened though, so wasted time worrying for no reason.

People seem to love giving everything a title nowadays. You can't just have a bad night, there must be some deep meaning. But don't we all have bad nights occasionally even as adults??

They were pretty accurate for DS but not so much DD.

Weren't even remotely accurate for my LO either, her whole life for the first year was like one long "wonder week" :haha:

Anyway, I think you're spot on with your observations.

I think it's helpful to know what order they go through some of the major developments in and approximate time, but don't think it's accurate in being the exact week because obvs babies are all different. But I have found that within a few weeks of what they say, he will be extra fussy and clingy and then will show the skills they describe near that time.

I haven't kept up with it. The first 3 months were a wonder week here so I read about the wonder weeks then but the week never seemed to end. I haven't kept up since then.

I also dreaded the 4 month sleep regression. It never came thankfully. She's 6 months now and I'm hoping to keep avoiding the sleep regressions. She does have problems during teething though.

I found the anticipation of them coming up made me nervous so I stopped reading about them! I think there must be some truth in it but I've not followed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->