Are you doing a NT scan?

Wishing89

Mama to one beautiful DS
Reaction score
Hi ladies, with my first son I didn't do a NT scan. My reasoning was that the results wouldn't change my mind so I didn't see the point. This time I'm undecided (it still wouldn't change my mind) but I would like to get an idea of what's going on. I am only 25 so age is on my side I suppose.

So how many people don't do NT scans? I had some silly comments about not doing one last time (like it was anyone's business) that its stupid not to do it.

Does just about everyone do them? Just really curious. TIA

Here everyone has a NT scan, not only for downs syndrome, but they check out other stuff as well, just to make sure everything is going as supposed to.

It always seemed like normal thing to me like it was just part of 12w dating scan never thought of declining.
However now they do a seperate blood test more thought was put into saying yes or no to that.

We decided to just get it done as it needs be done same day as the scan the results wouldnt make me change my mind either.

I didn't last time for the same reason as yourself, it wouldn't change anything. I decided against it for my second pregnancy as well (Though that scan ended up just confirming that I'd miscarried at 13 weeks) so now because I've had 3 mcs I've changed my mind and will get one just so I have all the information upfront. It still wouldn't change anything but as I'm more nervous this pregnancy anyway, I'd just like to know in advance if there is anything wrong. Don't know if I've explained that well, sorry!

I have one booked next week but that is purely down to me being an older Mum and therefore classed as high risk.

In fact here in the UK the nuchal scan is routinely offered at 12 weeks (although this has not always been the case)

I was advised by my midwife to have it done but she said that people do opt out for the very reason that it would not change matters for them anyway.... and I think it prefectly reasonable.

It is all down to personal choice at the end of the day!

I like you didn't want to for my first, knew it wouldn't change my mind. My doctor asked me to re-consider, he said there is valuable information that they can only get at that gestation. So we did it, and thank goodness. I had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks, and they were concerned about the heart, couldn't see one of the valves. Because of the information that they had from the NT scan, they were able to eliminate a lot of things. We waited 2 weeks did another scan and all was good, thank goodness!! but having the information from the NT scan really helped to put our mind at ease for that 2 weeks.

Like other posters have said I just look at it as normal information, there is a high false positive rate, on purpose to try and ensure that they catch all pregnancies with issues, mostly so they can be prepared at the birth, is how my doc explained it to me.

Good luck!

Hey

I wont be having the NT scan because if I came back as high risk, I wouldn't have the CVS test. The midwife explained that there is 1-2% chance of miscarriage with the CVS and for me it would mean having it twice. We've been through a lot to get this far and for me its not a risk I'm prepared to take. Aside from that, if I tested positive, I wouldn't end the pregnancy so its pointless I suppose!

Its entirely down to personal choice and I understand completely why people chose to have the scan and test. Everyone's situation is different and this will affect their outlook on their pregnancy. If anyone gives you hassle for choosing to/choosing not to have the NT screen, tell them to mind their own business!

I did the Panorama test, so I opted to skip the NT scan. I have already had 4 ultrasounds with this baby, so I didn't need to do the NT just to see the baby. I did however schedule my Panorama test with enough time that IF the test came back inconclusive or high risk I still would have had to get the NT scan done for additional info.

In our county all women are offered combined screening which is the NT measurement plus blood tests at the 12 week scan. You can still have the scan without having the NT measurement taken. We have opted to have it (I'm 35). With DS1, it wasn't offered routinely to women under 35 at that time, but you could pay for it privately, which we did. No blood test though.

I'm still rather early in my pregnancy, but I believe we're going to get the scan when the time comes. Mainly because it would (hopefully) give me one less thing to worry about during my pregnancy. It would be nice to cross down syndrome off the long long list of things to worry about. lol.

If the test comes up positive, it probably won't change our minds about carrying the pregnancy to term, but it would be nice to know so we can start preparing mentally and financially for the challenges we may have to deal with.

My friend declined the NT test and had the 20 week anatomy scan. All looked fine. However her baby did have DS when she was born. It wouldn't have changed anything for her but she wishes she had had the test just so she would have been more prepared for the initial shock.

Like anything it's personal choice. Whatevers best for you and your family.

I did with #1, had a rough go of it before #2 bfp so I didn't do the testing, maybe an odd reaction, but I really felt I didn't need or want the stress leading up to it. Now with #3 I did opt for the testing as I'm high risk for various reasons and of the "advanced maternal age". In fact, I just had my NT this morning and the scan looked good the tech said. I was offered and took the Verifi blood test with option to find out gender. Have to wait one week for results. It is going to be a long week. I think it's a very personal decisions and I've made each of my decision based on how much stress and anxiety it would put on me getting the testing vs. not.

I had my 12 week scan (at 12+5) last Friday and the NT measurement was taken as standard - 1.2mm.

I also opted to have the combined blood tests done. Whatever the results show wouldn't change my view on this pregnancy but I'm the sort of person that would rather know or at least have an idea and be prepared, than not know anything.

I doubt I'd go for an amnio or CVS if it came back as high risk but I'll cross that bridge if it comes to it.

There's certainly no right or wrong and nobody should judge you on your decision. It's a totally personal decision which will be different for every mother.

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->