Arghh so confused..!!

divagee

Reaction score
Ladies help!! this weaning process i've found to be overwhelming :cry: i got into a great routine with baby in regards to milk, feeding 8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm and 8pm and he is sleeping through the night. Just when i thought i cracked it its all change! he used to take about 7oz then i moved onto the hungry baby formula when that wasn't satisfying him i've moved onto weaning but i'm so confused!!! i've been reading/using the Annabel Karmel book which is brilliant and cooking my own stuff, so far this is what i'm doing:

8am - bottle 7oz
11am - mushy banana, creamy porridge, then 6oz milk
2pm - bottle 7oz
5pm - sweet potato, pear & rusk cream, then 6oz milk
8pm - bottle 8oz

My question is when do i stop giving him milk at each feed, should i be feeding him so frequently? what are your routines?
i'm worrying that i'm overfeeding the wee man!!! although he's not so small at 19pounds... :) He's got a great appetite and is really enjoying solids.

Thanks ladies your advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Weaning has by far been the most difficult part for me.
Like you im using the Annable Karmel book aswell.
Given your LOs age i would keep with the milk feeds, dont drop or reduce any. Let your LO decide when to drop feeds. When we went into weaning, once my lo got to 6 months ha natrually dropped a feed himself.

At 4 months I'd say definately keep the milk up and if anything, cut down on the food. (And always offer the milk before the food).

Milk is by far better for him still.. Like Arcanegirl, I'd let him drop his milk as and when he wants to but at that age, definately wouldn't encourage or 'force' it.

At 4 months I'd say definately keep the milk up and if anything, cut down on the food. (And always offer the milk before the food).

Milk is by far better for him still.. Like Arcanegirl, I'd let him drop his milk as and when he wants to but at that age, definately wouldn't encourage or 'force' it.

Agreed.

At that age you really need to make sure he keeps drinking his milk, don't let him fill up on solids.

he is drinking a LOT of milk, i just needed a bit of encouragement really that i'm heading in the right direction, as i say its a little overwhelming. I spoke with my HV before i did anything and she was surprised i left it this long and we decided that he'd needed to be weaned as he's almost 19 pounds! i know everyone talks about this magical '6 months' but christ he's a big baby! and plus we are lucky enough to not live in an underdeveloped country so i can introduce him gently to solids rather than rush at 6months when he's so mega hungry that the milk ain't doing it.

If hes drinking that much milk and still taking solids then id say thats enough for him :)

My Alex was always on the smaller side and as a result took less milk than the averages :)

he is drinking a LOT of milk, i just needed a bit of encouragement really that i'm heading in the right direction, as i say its a little overwhelming. I spoke with my HV before i did anything and she was surprised i left it this long and we decided that he'd needed to be weaned as he's almost 19 pounds! i know everyone talks about this magical '6 months' but christ he's a big baby! and plus we are lucky enough to not live in an underdeveloped country so i can introduce him gently to solids rather than rush at 6months when he's so mega hungry that the milk ain't doing it.

That's good if he's drinking a lot of milk! But it isn't so that big babies necessarily need weaning early. My baby is 21lb 3oz at 6.5 months and is barely swallowing solids at all yet and is fine! I'm sure you're doing great :)

Hey Hun, first off stop worrying as it sounds and looks like your doing just fine. I followed her book too which was the bible in our house and still is. Move to the next stage of the book when your LO is 6 months old. Always give your LO more milk than solids until then. We are just about to move to the 7 to 9 months stage and can't wait!

Good luck and enjoy! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->