Aromatherapy Oils

TTC4No3

Mom of 3
Reaction score
I've just started the Natal Hypnotherapy CD by Maggie Howell (Effective Birth Preparation; I quite like it so ordered the book :p), anyway, she recommends using aromatherapy oils when listening to the CD and throughout labour - any idea which oils would be good to use? I already have a diffuser but the oils I have aren't suitable for pregnancy it looks like. Any recommendations? Thks

I'm not sure which is and isn't suitable but lavender oil is supposed to be very very relaxing.

Hi

some oils are not suitable for pregnancy due to the fact they can cause contractions; that is all. Obviously in labour you won't be too bothered that they may cause contractions ;). Some of the ones I have heard are bergamot, Clary sage, Frankincense, Jasmine, Lavender, Peppermint and Rose (pure rose is extremely expensive so you can usually buy a 5% solution in a carrier oil).

Soph x

I experimented a lot and ended up with Lavender, Neroli & Clary Sage as my labour blend. Clary Sage helps with contraction strength and pain. I also use Clary sage in mixes for OH when he has put out is back. Neroli relives tension and anxiety, its bloody expensive though. I used these as both a massage blend and in water as a compress.

I didn't use any hypnotherapy and was ready to move from aromatherapy to gas & air at about 5cm, which was appropriately 11 hours after I started contracting.

Apparently my birthing unit is very keen on the use of aromatherapy oils - the list they use is about half way down this page https://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8687000/8687580.stm

I have lavender oil in my burner while listening to my CD. I think most oils that are in a burner/defuser are fine, it's when you start using them for massage they become dangerous but lavender is fine after 1st tri

mw said to us lavender oil or camomile oil xx

Remember that most of the oils that are used for labour are only good if there are no problems such as premature labour. They are usually fine for healthy women. Essential oils do have effect and need to be used correctly. You can consult a qualified aromatherapist if you are worried. When used correctly, they can be great during labour and not just for relaxation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->