Aromatherapy

Quackquack99

Reaction score
Hi all, just a question, my midwife mentioned that during labour some hospitals are using increasingly using aromatherapy as a means of dealing with pain. For myself personally nice smells always help. I'm just wondering anyone has done this and if it was helpful or if it was a waste of time. If it did help then which kinds of aroma helped the most. Thanks in advance

A lot of women use clary sage - its a uterine stimulant so will help with labour.

Otherwise it is really what suits you (as long as it is safe during pregnancy) if you can pair a smell with being relaxed - so using certain oils whilst practicing your breathing or hypno techniques will hopefully then allow the smell to trigger the relaxed state you want.

Traditionally relaxing soothing smells like lavender work well if you like them.

lavendar is a very good scent to relax as well. Aromatherpy can work wonders during labor ;) and if youre in a hospital where you can't light candles, you can get the oils and sticks. Or you can get the plug in scents-even those work on some level ;)

I use clary sage in my bath and I really like it. I love minty smells like eucalyptus, but I don't if that would be safe during labour. Thanks for the replies

i used lavenduer and a few others i bought a band from holland and barret and you clip little squares (refills) into a little compart ment on it it worked really well and if i didnt want to smell it you just shut the lid. i used to practicse my relaxation with the oils i would use in pregnancey so that i would be relaxed when i smelt them.

are you having your baby at burnley? i did they were amazing x

i used lavenduer and a few others i bought a band from holland and barret and you clip little squares (refills) into a little compart ment on it it worked really well and if i didnt want to smell it you just shut the lid. i used to practicse my relaxation with the oils i would use in pregnancey so that i would be relaxed when i smelt them.

are you having your baby at burnley? i did they were amazing x

Yeah at burnley, the student midwife told me that at preston they use aromatherapy as standard, to be honest I think more hospital should be using this approach especially if they are cost cutting, I'm sure a few oils would cost a lot less than say an epidural! I can't wait to use the birthing pool. I'm really excited, its massive! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->