ASD and birthdays/Xmas

MadameJ

Leo*Lexie*Zander*Madison
Reaction score
Hi girls(and gents if there are any)

We've just recently had my little boys diagnosis of ASD even though we kinda knew for awhile that's what it was and as much as we hate to be labelling him we now are doing everything and.anything to help him.

To my question,for his birthday(he'll be 4) and Xmas I am completely stuck for what to get him. We want to get stuff to help him progress and help build on his communication skills etc but also keeping in mind he's very destructive and alot of toys and crafts only last days in this house.

Any idea's would be a huge help?

I can't help much as all my son wants for Christmas is a Cbeebies dvd and a Cbeebies book. He's 6 and that is what he wants. He was playing on the computer by then also, which is great skills if you don't mind him using the computer. The reason behind this most children with ASD have bad handwriting and find it easier to type in later life and most professionals involved in my sons care have been impressed by this. Maybe buy a game like pop up pirate which involves turn taking and talking to him and is pretty study and make a big fuss who ever pop's up the pirate. My son quite likes kerplunk although in his rules if you win all the marbles your the winner. He also enjoys connect 4. Other things he likes is electronic talking toys like the toddler talking alphabet boards. He also loves dvd's. My son hates crafts so not sure on that, but generally talking and continuing to doing what the speech therapist set language should come on fine.

I can't help much as all my son wants for Christmas is a Cbeebies dvd and a Cbeebies book. He's 6 and that is what he wants. He was playing on the computer by then also, which is great skills if you don't mind him using the computer. The reason behind this most children with ASD have bad handwriting and find it easier to type in later life and most professionals involved in my sons care have been impressed by this. Maybe buy a game like pop up pirate which involves turn taking and talking to him and is pretty study and make a big fuss who ever pop's up the pirate. My son quite likes kerplunk although in his rules if you win all the marbles your the winner. He also enjoys connect 4. Other things he likes is electronic talking toys like the toddler talking alphabet boards. He also loves dvd's. My son hates crafts so not sure on that, but generally talking and continuing to doing what the speech therapist set language should come on fine.

I agree with this :) my son uses his innotab and they are kiddo tough (ds has dropped his many times) you can by lots of educational games for this. Xx

Pop up pirate is a genius idea!!!! He is obsessed with pirates just now and they also uses that game as part of his assessment so it's just a perfect gift for his birthday. Thanks for the idea's:thumbup:

He LOVES technology to the point he is obsessed with the iPad but his pediatrician has advised we really limit his time.now(he never played it overly much,maybe an hour a day.but they say this is too much now) but when he does play we try to encourage the ASD friendly apps!! He got an innotab last year and again was getting pretty addicted to that too but I suppose a new game wouldn't do too much harm.

Autistic people will always have their obsessions (usually in technology) and you can try and tell a 13 year old boy to stop using his computer, even cut of the plug but they would just rewire it. I personally don't mind my son using his pc, we did plenty outside of computer time (although to a normal person this might seem much) He does horse riding, piano lessons, going to the park, shopping etc and the thing that amazed me the most he played 25 minutes solid on his playmobil the other day. The first time he's played on something which isn't the computer! He also has a small trampoline indoors as he will run and jump on it when restless and use the big one outside if its nice. He has his command centre (treehouse type thing) and swing in the garden. Plus its nice to just relax a bit after school. When he was younger though he did go to nursery and have swimming, music and a general play sessions with other children. Not that he enjoyed them much, but as much as you can when you dislike all the other children going!

If your paediatrician says its to much does he have any behaviour he needs to work on? If so you can use it as reward or possible after he does his work, that way he gets something he really enjoys.

Just thought of something else my son really enjoyed remote controlled cars when younger. Ones with arrow remotes compared to joysticks and he would play with that for hours.

Maybe puzzles, just small ones like 4-6 pieces to start, something that requires a bit of concentration but with help can be finished quickly!
Charlie started puzzles small and can now do a 20 piece in seconds! It's something she loves! She will do a puzzle normally super quick and then turn it blank side up and do it again super quick with no pictures! I can't even do them like that lol!
We have about 20 in the cupboard and I like her to one a day so I know she using concentration on something as she has a mega short attention span and flits between toys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->