Asd moms- what tipped you off?

swood9

Mom of one!
Reaction score
Before I write the post, I want to note that I am taking my son to see our doctor soon, and I understand that's the only way to get answers

I think my 13month old ds has been stimming vocally and every so often he shakes his head back and forth. Not for long periods of time. When he is doing something (playing with a toy, watching tv) he doesn't respond no matter what. Sometimes if I clap really loudly he will look over for a moment. Getting him to sleep is a nightmare. He needs about 45 minutes to wind down usually, an it has to be in our bedroom with a bottle, or sometimes two. We cosleep. He never stops moving. Sometimes he spins wheels on vehicles busy mostly he says with them correctly. He says mama and dada and hi. He waved and pointed for a short time but stopped and I don't know when because I didn't really think it was a big deal considering he only did it for a short time. I figured he just lost interest, I guess. (Sounds stupid now that I'm saying it).

So I know that none of you can tell me if you think my son is on the spectrum but I would like to know when you felt like something was off or what your child was doing around this age. Thanks

My son would do the classic stacking from an early age. Once he could sit up at 7 months so slightly behind he would stack blocks. He would try count them in his own language as he's behind in his speech as well, (we believe he also has dyslexic as I also have both.) He would build towers and towers and get upset if he knocked one down, then one day he was bored and went onto Rolf Harris so we had that over and over again. Interest for now is computers, has been since 2.5 he's now 6 with other things fleeting in between. He flaps his hands, he doesn't look at you when he's talking, he gets upset at unpredictable loud sounds like a hoover and hand dryers. I guess nothing tipped me off but I had a good health visitor and pediatrician who know what they were dealing with.

Although in the states don't all kids get routinely tested at 2 anyway? They might not decided to test him until then as babies all develop at different rates

My son is still under assessment for ASD (and has been since 18mo), but has been diagnosed with global development delay. We were concerned because of his physical delays first (he started rolling at 13mo) and his speech delay (he still wasn't making any sounds or babbling at 18mo). But I think the biggest thing was that he was very aloof to us - there wasn't as much of a connection (he wasn't into hugs and didn't seen to get comfort from us like other kids did). He also didn't have eye contact until later. My daughter sounds similar to your son at the same age (though she didn't say any words until 19mo and still only has 2 or 3) and she is developing completely typically and is very social. It's hard to say as ASD is a huge spectrum, but at a year it seems like your son is pretty typical based on what you wrote. He's already saying words which is amazing. A year is pretty tough to diagnose definitively unless it's severe.

And I don't think I would necessarily worry about your son not paying attention while the TV is on. Most of my friends kids (and mine!) don't answer when they're distracted with a fun toy or especially the TV. Also what do you mean by stimming vocally? I have heard older kids do this, but I don't think I would consider it stimming in a baby just learning to talk. Do you mean he repeats the same sounds over and over? Again, I obviously don't have experience with your son - just writing based on what you said.

At 13 months it wouldn't be something I'd ever think about, and it wouldnt be classed as stimming at that age either because they are learning to vocalise at that age. It's definatley not something you can assess at this age im afraid, but to me, it sounds like general toddler behaviour. Which is great.

My daughter had no speech, no communication at all. No pointing, no playing with toys at all. She would lay on the floor and scream and we would have no idea what she needed. It was pretty clear there was something. She was diagnosed at 2 years. She is now 8. She talks, and can have whole conversations. She needs an aid in school, but is doing regular curriculum. She has come a very long way. She will never live on her own, or so we have been told, but everything has been a miracle so far...

Wow, thank you for all the insight.

At 13 months it wouldn't be something I'd ever think about, and it wouldnt be classed as stimming at that age either because they are learning to vocalise at that age. It's definatley not something you can assess at this age im afraid, but to me, it sounds like general toddler behaviour. Which is great.

This^^

I can't even pinpoint when I knew there was 'something' but that behaviour I would just see as being a toddler

My daughter is nonverbal with autism. Before her diagnosis, I thought she was just slow to start talking. Didn't really think too much of it. However, the main thing that made me realize something was off with her was that she wouldn't look at me. I honestly can't say that she did and stopped or if she ever really did, but it was about her 2nd birthday when I realized she would not look at me when I was talking to her. She would turn her head away and if I tried to hold her chin so she couldn't turn her head, she would turn her eye's away from me. I didn't know anything about autism at that time, but I knew that didn't seem right. She was diagnosed with autism a couple months later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->