ASD routine change help!!

annanouska

Reaction score
My ds is 26 months he has been on the pathway and having assessments fr ASD for some time but not confirmed until he is older.

He has been at nursery since 8 mo and done very well he loves the routine. He has been having visits to the next room for some time and doing great. He now has to go to the big room first thing and has lunch there's then his sleep before going to his normal room. This has been disasterous, he can not cope. He is really unsettled wont eat generally off himself.nursery feel they will just put him in full time next week as the back and forth unsettles him more but how can I help him be happy again? He gets upset as soon as he sees we go to the other door. I've got him a new bag with the big class logo on and explain to him but he doesn't yet speak xxx

Hiya, hope nobody minds me posting in here, I work with children with special needs.

I would suggest a simple social story to help your son adjust to the new routine. You can make your own with photos or clipart, and very simple language.

Does he use PECs or similar symbols at all? I've seen a lot of success with simple timetables with velcro symbols on a strip letting children know what's to come. For example "car, big room, lunch, sleep, normal room, car" again you can make your own, maybe ask his nursery if they could assist (they probably have velcro and a laminator on hand!).

I hope the adjustment period isn't too long.:hugs:

Sending you massive hugs. It's not often recommended, but, i sometimes find, in some cases, transitions make the situation worse, sometimes i just have to smash a routine up and start again completely fresh. We've had to do something similar in terms of school, or there would be a total nightmare! It depends on the circumstances, I pick my battles!

I think next week might cause an initial short reaction but it'll be a new, solid routine, no back and forth, you may well find life is much better! Right now your LO is confused with the to and fro, doesnt understand and cant vocalise so it can be really overwhelming!

Like the first pp I am a professional not a parent. I agree with her suggestions and also with pink that I agree with the nursery's choice to speed up the transition.

We had 2 students this summer who were going to a new room in the fall - one was prepped every day with social stories and visits to the new room. The other was not told about the change until the first day of school and then simply placed in the new room. These are both older students we know well so we knew from past experience that for the one student a slow transition would actually cause more distress. They are both doing well in the new room so far. In other words, as pink said, the slow transition process that helps many students is not right for all.
The first few days/weeks may be tough but hopefully he will love his new room soon enough.

:hugs: thank you all. Nursery did what they thought would be best allowing him to adjust and I'm greatful for them trying but I agree with pink I think it just needs this is it deal with it ....much nicer tho! They are going to try and do it next week but due to staffing it may be the week after but that's the latest.

Thanks for the idea of picture boards. I have got him sme pecs he doesn't really get it yet I think the picture story would work tho.,I got some cheap now and then boards from eBay, we have to go in a taxi tomorrow and I know he will freak so I will deff try it out and see.

Personally I'm happy for any advice In here, sometimes people working with sen helps more of a sorts as u see a range of children. Yesterday as better but he got really possessive over his book bag?!he doesn't care for anything really so I'm making him a taggy to take if he needs some random comfort

Really pointless but another mum stopped me to say her son had been talki g non stop about how fun mine is?! I was so gob smacked and proud, I have mr self centred, anti social, non verbal, does t share and pushes child :shrug:

Really pointless but another mum stopped me to say her son had been talki g non stop about how fun mine is?! I was so gob smacked and proud, I have mr self centred, anti social, non verbal, does t share and pushes child :shrug:

That reminds me of when folk used to say that to us at first - turns out she was the life and soul of the party there :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->