Aspergers help

Nibblenic

Reaction score
Hey, my hubby is diagnosed as having aspergers. Our almost 5 year old is finding some of his body language/facial expressions/ voice tone increasingly difficult to understand and deal with.
Its all getting pretty confusing for her.

She understands that daddy has aspergers. That his brain work flow is different to other people. That is face isnt always representing how he is feeling. We always been honest/open and encouraged her to ask questions if she doesnt understand.

Hubby has had a bad aspie month, there is no doubting that. He knows it I know it. This morning Zoe was faffing about before school when she should have been brushing her teeth. The washer was on so hubby raised his voice and at the time his body language was terrible not aggressive, just tense. (he hates white noise) So I came to sort them out as Zoe was crying. She said 'daddy doesnt love me' and in that moment she believed it. I didnt dismiss her feelings I was honest and said sometimes I feel the same, as you can when someone is a bit blank. Its all sorted now and she left for school telling OH he was the best daddy in the world. But he is devastated and to be honest I think Zoe is confused.

There seems to be so little information out there for explaining parental ASD to children. Can anyone help? I know some of you are ASD how are you explaining it to your children?

I can't really help you as although I have asperger's, my son has autism as he's blissfully unaware of my body language at the best of times. I need to physically be crying, having a raised voiced or smiling/having a raise voice so he knows what I feel. Plus for women on the spectrum they are more likely to copy other people (not all, but some) so they learn more about emotions then men.

However, I did get this info on this site. It might be a start in the right direction for now.

https://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/parents-relatives-and-carers/sons-and-daughters.aspx

How is he with reading other people's body language Nic?

How is he with reading other people's body language Nic?

Horrific, body language, facial expressions, gestures. He cant understand any of it. He doesnt really have much in the way of body language or facial expressions himself.

Our picture book is now available on Kindle :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...=B00I05X4P0&linkCode=as2&tag=womensweightl-21

Hopefully it will be able to reach a lot of people and have a positive affect :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->