Attn: Skinny Minnie's! Anyone else trying to gain a few pounds before TTC?

bohemiangel

Reaction score
So I guess I am one of the "lucky" (and often despised ;)) few who can eat everything in sight and never gain a pound. I have a very delicate bone structure and am still underweight despite my best efforts to eat a healthy diet. In my research I've learned that being underweight can be even more detrimental to fertility than being slightly overweight. Soooooooo just looking for some company as I try to gain a little weight before officially TTC this summer! Anyone with me? :flower:

Hi, I also have trouble with gaining weight. I feel healthy but yet I'm still under weight no matter how much I eat. It's just so hard sometimes and I have read that being underweight affects fertility. I would love to join and keep you company.

Yayyyyyyy, glad to have you join me!! :flower:
I think the most important thing is feeling good. It's one thing if you're not well and underweight, but I think it's different if you are naturally thin but feel very healthy and strong. Then I'd like to think that we ARE! :thumbup:
Still, at least to maintain my weight I'm going to try to add protein shakes between meals. Today I made one with berries, hemp/rice protein powder, and full fat coconut milk. Yum!!
Have any high calorie healthy snack type things that you like?

I wish! I was slim before ttc and put on 5 stone by the end of my pregnancy and never lost the remaining 2.5 stone.
I do think it's a good idea to see the doctor in case you have any thyroid issues or something?
I suggest logging everything you eat into my fitness pal - weigh everything ... I'll bet you're not eating very much even though you think you are?
It'll tell you how many calories, protein, carbs etc is in what you're having.
Cheese, wholenut butters, homemade flapjack either savoury or sweet?
Add avocado to salads, whip an egg into your mashed potatoes at the end, add cheese on the top of cottage pie, pasta dishes etc.
Xx

Yayyyyyyy, glad to have you join me!! :flower:
I think the most important thing is feeling good. It's one thing if you're not well and underweight, but I think it's different if you are naturally thin but feel very healthy and strong. Then I'd like to think that we ARE! :thumbup:
Still, at least to maintain my weight I'm going to try to add protein shakes between meals. Today I made one with berries, hemp/rice protein powder, and full fat coconut milk. Yum!!
Have any high calorie healthy snack type things that you like?

Yes, I feel good about myself at times but I know I'm healthy but just thin. I've been this way since I was younger. My doctor prescribed me some medicine to help with the weight gain issue but I'll have to see if it interferes with my chances of ttc. I also have a lot of high calorie shake recipes but I'm so scared to try them because they may not taste how I'd like it to. I'm also a very picky eater at times.

Great suggestions, RaspberryK! I've had my thyroid checked out a bunch of times and it's always a-ok. Just high metabolism, I guess! :shrug: And the MyFitnessPal thing is another good suggestion. I think you're right about not eating as much as I think I do. Once on Thanksgiving I took a picture of all the food on my plate because the meal was so lovely I wanted to remember it. At the time I felt like my plate was piled chock full of everything, but later when I went back and saw the picture I was surprised. I had like 2 Tb of mashed potatoes, 3 bites of turkey, and tiny amounts of some other stuff I can't remember now. I can't eat much in one sitting because I have a little bitty stomach, but then I'm hungry all the time, haha!

And dcm about the high calorie shakes- just keep adding different stuff until you like the taste of it! Can never go wrong with coconut milk and fruit! :thumbup:

I guess little and often may be the key for you. I've just added mfp on my phone again, I ate just under 1500 calories yesterday, wasn't hungry and all I had 300 of those as a snack at bedtime and I'm usually a big eater so this goes to show there isn't always as much in these things as you think.
What is a typical day of eating for you?
I am Raspberryk on mfp too if you want to add me for support, I could use some xx

Hi. I'm the same as you. I can eat anything and not gain weight.

I had my baby boy in 2011. When I conceived I weighed about 7st 4lb, I'm 5ft 5ins tall. I had a smooth pregnancy and birth. My baby weighed 8lb 6oz! My family thought I'd have a small baby because I was so slim. I gained about 2.5 stones during the pregnancy.

I now weigh about 7st 7lb, without any exercise. The weight just fell off. I was kinda hoping I'd keep some of the pregnancy weight on but you'd never tell I'd had a baby.

Good luck. Slim ladies can have healthy pregnancies too!

Great suggestions, RaspberryK! I've had my thyroid checked out a bunch of times and it's always a-ok. Just high metabolism, I guess! :shrug: And the MyFitnessPal thing is another good suggestion. I think you're right about not eating as much as I think I do. Once on Thanksgiving I took a picture of all the food on my plate because the meal was so lovely I wanted to remember it. At the time I felt like my plate was piled chock full of everything, but later when I went back and saw the picture I was surprised. I had like 2 Tb of mashed potatoes, 3 bites of turkey, and tiny amounts of some other stuff I can't remember now. I can't eat much in one sitting because I have a little bitty stomach, but then I'm hungry all the time, haha!

And dcm about the high calorie shakes- just keep adding different stuff until you like the taste of it! Can never go wrong with coconut milk and fruit! :thumbup:
I have always wanted to try coconut milk, I guess this is the perfect time to go for it !

Hey ladies! Just wanna share some input. I am currently wtt #2 and also have always been underweight. When I was ttc my son my doctor suggested I try to put on some weight after trying for a year and half. Within three months of putting on less than 10 pounds I was pregnant. I never thought my weight could be such a big factor in conceiving. Not to say this is the same for eveyone but it sure couldn't hurt.. So eat away! Lol I added protein shakes on top of my food every morning And full fat is your new best friend!

Has anyone ever tried ensure plus or boost plus. Which one do you prefer? I can't stomach or even swallow ensure plus but I've never tried boost plus and I know there's a lot of nutrition drinks out here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->