Auto Immune system problems??

Livsmom

Reaction score
I had my baby girl 12 weeks ago. I had an emcs due to abrupted placenta and then developed double pneumonia a few days later that landed me in the hospital for 8 days. I had to have a blood transfusion because I was so sick. Well since having her, I ache all the time. My joints and muscles. Bad. Sometimes I have trouble climbing the stairs. I had to go to the dr. today because I have had a cold that has gone into my chest. I had an ear infection and she said beginning to develop pneumonia in one lung. I mentioned that I ache and that I read it can be from hormones taking a bit to return to normal. I am 40 and figured maybe age contributed. Guess I wanted reassurance it was nothing. I didn't get it. She said she thought we should do blood tests and her words "I don't want to scare you but sometimes a woman can develop auto immune system problems after delivery". Well she scared me! It will be a week before I hear anything. Anyone else have a similar experience? I wondered if the sickness leads her to believe this or just the achiness? I am going to google although I know it's a bad idea! Please share if you have any ideas. Thanks!!

Hey there,

First of all I'm sorry to hear you've been through so much in such a short amount of time....

Your doc is actually right. Pregnancy generally, and childbirth in particular, can trigger autoimmune disorders into action or cause existing autoimmune disorders to flare. I have two such disorders and I'm certainly not having fun post-partum. It's also true that autoimmune disorders can present with joint and muscle pain.

However, and this is a big however, you've had serious infections and a blood transfusion plus what sounds like a pretty traumatic delivery....! Your body has been through an awful lot and needs time to recover from childbirth and from all the infections!!! Infections btw can also cause joint and muscle aches. You say you can't climb the stairs sometimes... Do your hips hurt? There is something called toxic synovitis (which is a scary name actually, when it just means transient synovitis) which is a self limiting inflammation of the lining of the capsule of the hip joint. It can happen in one or both hips and generally appears after infections. Could that be a possibility?

Please be aware that some of the tests done to check for autoimmune disorders, like an ANA, can yield false positives when you have an infection....

Personally, and this is just me, I would rest, give my body time and space to recover from everything it's been through and if a couple of months down the line joint and muscle pains were still an issue in the absence of infection, then I'd definitely look into it.... Of course everyone is different and your doctor, obviously, knows your medical history and case much much better....!

I hope everything goes very well for you! :)

Zondon

I don't have any advice, just :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

was wondering where you've been. congrats on ur baby girl. hope things get better soon.

Hey there,

First of all I'm sorry to hear you've been through so much in such a short amount of time....

Your doc is actually right. Pregnancy generally, and childbirth in particular, can trigger autoimmune disorders into action or cause existing autoimmune disorders to flare. I have two such disorders and I'm certainly not having fun post-partum. It's also true that autoimmune disorders can present with joint and muscle pain.

However, and this is a big however, you've had serious infections and a blood transfusion plus what sounds like a pretty traumatic delivery....! Your body has been through an awful lot and needs time to recover from childbirth and from all the infections!!! Infections btw can also cause joint and muscle aches. You say you can't climb the stairs sometimes... Do your hips hurt? There is something called toxic synovitis (which is a scary name actually, when it just means transient synovitis) which is a self limiting inflammation of the lining of the capsule of the hip joint. It can happen in one or both hips and generally appears after infections. Could that be a possibility?

Please be aware that some of the tests done to check for autoimmune disorders, like an ANA, can yield false positives when you have an infection....

Personally, and this is just me, I would rest, give my body time and space to recover from everything it's been through and if a couple of months down the line joint and muscle pains were still an issue in the absence of infection, then I'd definitely look into it.... Of course everyone is different and your doctor, obviously, knows your medical history and case much much better....!

I hope everything goes very well for you! :)

Zondon

Thank you for your reply and advice. It is actually not my hips. It is my feet, ankles, legs, hands, back...etc. It is so odd! I carried my 2 year old up the stairs the other night and thought I was going to fall down. I just feel so old. Like the baby aged me 20 years. I just had a blood test and will go from there but not going to do a battery of other testing at this time. I am not too stressed about it but am a bit baffled. I mostly hoped she might give me something for when it gets really bad...like for pain. She said "try advil". My body has been shocked and I catch anything that comes around. Last month randomly I just woke up with a yeast infection. Not your average one...this one covered under my breasts, on sides of inner thighs, IN MY BELLY BUTTON!! So gross. I am not a patient person and just wanna feel normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->