Ava, Adeline/Adaline or Elsie?

AMM83

Reaction score
My husband and I want a name for our baby girl that is feminine, pretty, "old lady", to stand the test of time so it suits her in both childhood and adulthood. Our surname is difficult to spell and pronounce, so we need something simple. We'd also like it to match a boy's name we already have picked out for future use, Oscar Reuben.

The final three are...

Ava - We like that it's short, vintage, feminine, sweet and can't possibly be misspelled. But, is Ava too common?

Adeline/Adaline - We like that it's elegant, glamorous and "old lady", plus she could have the nickname Addie or Ada. But, is it too hard to spell? Which spelling is the traditional way? Will people mispronounce it and say "Ad-ah-lyn" instead of what we want, which is "Ad-ah-line". Is it too similar to Madeline?

Elsie - We like that it's pretty, sweet, spunky, very old-school, a little uncommon. But, does Elsie sound too much like a nickname? Will people assume it's short for Elsa or Elsbeth? Is it too "cutesy" for when she becomes a woman one day? Will people go to call her Elise instead?

Let us know your thoughts :baby:

I like the first two names. Of course Ava is popular, but it's sweet.

Elsie sounds like the name of a farm animal to me, sorry :/ Elise is old lady and goes with is at and is similar

Eden
Olivia
Claire
Audrey

I love old lady names!

I like Elsie the best. Its on our short list too :) I wouldn't think it was short for something else and I also don't think it would be too cutesy growing up. .

I think Ava is a little too common but agree its a lovely name I just personally wouldn't choose it based on the fact that DD1 has a super common name so I want an unusual one for #2.

My immediate thought was to pronounce Adeline/Adeline as Ad-a-lin when I first read your post, but again I think its lovely and unusual.

Another old lady name I love is Norah but DH hates it :(

I like Adeline but I pronounced it Adelyn. Elsie doesn't sound like a proper name, I would assume nickname. Ava is nice, a bit too popular but as dd1 has a super popular name I can't talk!

If you like Ava but too common then how about Aveline? Just a thought ;)

I love Ava and considered using it but for me there's popular and very very very popular. But it is popular for a reason its a lovely name! I voted Elsie I think its such a lovely name for a little girl and adult and not as popular as Ava x

I love all the names, Elsie was on our list for LO, we went for Josephine which we shorten to Josie (so you can tell we have same view on names :) ) I think any of them will be beautiful and stand test of time

I voted for Ava - I love it - would also use it, if it wasn't so darn popular at the moment!

How about Eva, Vivienne, Addison, Sophia, Abigail (nn. Abby), Julia, or Madeline?

Interesting thoughts everyone, thanks. Since posting this I've come across two other options...Ada and Adele. What do you think of these names? I thought perhaps Ada was a less common alternative to Ava and she could have the nickname Addie? Adele is perhaps an easier-to-spell and easier-to-pronounce variant of Adeline? What do you all think of these names? Love/dislike/impartial???

Interesting thoughts everyone, thanks. Since posting this I've come across two other options...Ada and Adele. What do you think of these names? I thought perhaps Ada was a less common alternative to Ava and she could have the nickname Addie? Adele is perhaps an easier-to-spell and easier-to-pronounce variant of Adeline? What do you all think of these names? Love/dislike/impartial???

I think Ada is ok but prefer Ida. Not keen on Adele at all xx

if you like Ava and Adaline/Adeline have you thought about mixing the two?

a friend of mine has a daughter who is 2 months old now called Avaline.

Just a thought :flow:

I agree with Elsie sounding like a farm animal, but that's because Elsie is the name of the cow mascot for Borden dairies. If you didn't grow up thinking of Elsies as cows, then go for it. I personally like Adeline the best. It's lovely, straight forward and spelled like that, I think it would be pronounced correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->