Average household bills for a couple in the UK?

We moved into a 2 bed house at beginning of january. We put our application in on 10th december and we moved in 8th january, we could have moved in sooner but we wanted to get xmas and new year out of the way. We havent really had any bills yet really apart from our council tax but we get council tax benefit that covers that and we also had to pay £6.81 for sewage charges. We get electric in with our rent and to save on having a landline we both have mobile contracts, both at £15 a month. I have mobile broadband which is £40 a month but i got my laptop free. We have gas on pre-payment meter so only bill we will really get is water. I dont live far from sheffield either:) Im from rotherham

That sounds finy, Tinyboots!

Go for it I say! :D

Well I would've! but that house has gone now. Woops! But if we get something up to a maximum of about £500, from what you ladies have told me, I think I'll be safe :happydance: xxx

We moved into a 2 bed house at beginning of january. We put our application in on 10th december and we moved in 8th january, we could have moved in sooner but we wanted to get xmas and new year out of the way. We havent really had any bills yet really apart from our council tax but we get council tax benefit that covers that and we also had to pay £6.81 for sewage charges. We get electric in with our rent and to save on having a landline we both have mobile contracts, both at £15 a month. I have mobile broadband which is £40 a month but i got my laptop free. We have gas on pre-payment meter so only bill we will really get is water. I dont live far from sheffield either:) Im from rotherham

That sounds ideal! haha. I know we need a landline because my OH is obsessed with his xbox and needs to connect it to a router to play online, so boo hiss to him!!

If you're from Rotherham, I have a question!! Is Kiveton Park classed as Sheffield, or Rotherham?? :dohh:

Good god! Our bills alone before food, petrol any nursery fees etc.. are £1600 a month! I am living in the wrong place!

That sounds ideal! haha. I know we need a landline because my OH is obsessed with his xbox and needs to connect it to a router to play online, so boo hiss to him!!

If you're from Rotherham, I have a question!! Is Kiveton Park classed as Sheffield, or Rotherham?? :dohh:

Kiveton park is classed as sheffield, also when you asked for monthly prices of bills i dont know if you are bothered about the food shop but we did our big food shop yesterday and weve filled all our cuboards and fridge/freezer and it cost us £45

Jemma... £45?! How many people is that for? and where on earth did you shop? xx

Thats for 2 people and at morrisons as we live near enough next door to one, we tend to get alot of BOGOF and say buy 2 for £3

Here are the typical monthly figures for me and OH in a 3 bedroom semi-detached house:

Rent: £450
Council Tax: £80.15 (25% single person discount as i'm exempt)
Electric: £40 to £50 a month
Gas: £20 a month in summer, as much as £40 a month in winter
Water: £22.50 (ish) a month on rates
TV Licence: £28.50 for the first 6 months, then £11 a month (ish)
Telephone & Broadband (BT): £36.64 a month

From around £640 to around £710 a month depending on circumstances. Then you need to add on food and things like that :)

I'm not quite sure I understand the reasoning about the TV licence, but from what I understand it's so that you're in advance with next years TV licence? When I filled it out online and it gave me those payments I thought it seemed too much so I rang through and the woman I spoke to told me that all payments were like that... higher for the first 6 months. The fact that so many people on here have said £11 has me wondering though....

I moved into my home last year and it was the first time i ever had a tv liscence (as was living at parents etc) mine was also 28.50 for first 6 months and has now gone down to 11.

Mines about the same as everyone elses We Have a 3 Bed House

My partner is currently to ill to work and need a full time carer so i have left work aswell so we are living of disability and a few other benifits so at the moment i dont have any council tax to pay which was £145pm when we were working and also we dont have to pay the intrest on our mortgage. My mortgage was £553pm but i only pay £100 at the moment.
My Gas & Electric is about £60pm
TV Licence - £11pm
Water - £20pm
Sky - £30pm
BT - £15pm

Then you have the other extras like
Mobile phone contracts - £50pm
Internet - £5pm

Hope this helped you xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.