Awareness of AIDs/HIV is decreasing among the younger generation..

I remember the gravestone awareness ads of the '80s but then I'm an old fogey compared to most on here!

Me too. I remember giving one of the leaflets that came through the door to my grannie (at that point a widow and in her 70s) and she was like "hmmm, I don't think I need to worry about that anymore Clare"!

Its not just kids though I think parents need educating about it as well.

We did a little about HIV/AIDS at school but tbh not a lot at all. I know that it affects your immune system, but I know nothing else about it. I don't know what the side affects are, how it transforms from HIV into AIDS, or anything like that really. And it worries me that as a parent, I wont be able to educate my child properly. I mean, obviously I'll do research when the time comes, but I would like for the information to be more readily available. Ive never heard anything about it other than Hollyoaks/school.

xxx

I dont think you need to know a great deal in terms of technicalities. I educate my 16 year old daughter in simple terms like this. Have sex without a condom and you risk various nasty STDs that could either give you a nasty itch, lead to cervical cancer or kill you. HIV/AIDS is on of the latter varity. Getting pregnant is the least of your worries as a sexually active person - generally you dont die from getting pregnant. Be young, live life and enjoy yourself but dont risk your life. Wear a condom. No glove, no love. They are cheap and even free and there is NO excuse for not using one.

Another old(ish) fogey here! I was actually shocked when my 13 year old daughter asked me about the red ribbon last month and realised she knew practically nothing about HIV or aids. I've done my best to put that right but the majority of her friends and peer group will still be ignorant of the facts which does worry me :(

I think there defo needs more publicity about it especially with higher rates of casual sex. The TV ads only mention milder infections like chlamydia and the like but never seem brave enough to mention HIV. I think to alot of people its either an African or homosexual problem and couldn't possibly affect them. Also when it comes to contraception, pills and implants etc are being rammed down our throats but no mention of condoms to prevent HIV, the awareness is so minute in the UK.

I think there defo needs more publicity about it especially with higher rates of casual sex. The TV ads only mention milder infections like chlamydia and the like but never seem brave enough to mention HIV. I think to alot of people its either an African or homosexual problem and couldn't possibly affect them. Also when it comes to contraception, pills and implants etc are being rammed down our throats but no mention of condoms to prevent HIV, the awareness is so minute in the UK.

Agree. I just bought life insurance. First of all the girl was chatting to me on the phone and asking why I was taking out life insurance and I said "because I have just had a baby and I want to leave some financial security for my partner and her should anything happen to me". Then she starts asking medical questions and one was "are you / have you ever been at risk of contracting HIV?" and I was like "are you kidding? I just told you that I've just had a baby OBVIOUSLY I've had unprotected sex". I didn't think they were supposed to even ask this nowadays, I thought that it was a life insurance question from the 80s! Anyway, she put down no as the answer as I'd had a negative HIV test in pregnancy and was British!

I still remember the tombstone ads of the 80s/90s. I think people need scaring again as many people seem to think you can live for ages with HIV and be fine with all the drugs they give them

I agree. I too remember these adverts and the message really was that HIV would be a death sentence. That was how we all felt then. But now that just does not seem to be the case. The new drug regimes are a fantastic development but have been a bit of a double edged sword.

There still seems to be a thought that HIV is a 'gay' problem but it is not, The numbers of people having unprotected sex seems to be on the rise too.

Like some of you have said, I was brought up with the message that HIV/AIDS were a death sentence and would never have considered having unprotected sex with a new partner. It was a hard hitting campaign but it did work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->