Awkward social interaction

phoenix333

Mummy of 2 :)
Reaction score
I work with the general public and most of the time I work alone in the office. I was working alone today when a middle aged guy came in, I just politely chatted to him as I would with anyone while I dealt with him, he asked quite a lot of questions about the fact I was pregnant (most people do as I lumbering about like an elephant seal at the moment). Afterwards he just kind of hung around like he was waiting for something, so I said "well, we are all done here now so you are free to go. If I don't see you before have a nice christmas". To which he reacted by coming over and giving me a big hug and kissing me on the cheek. I wasn't expecting it, I just kind of stood there like a statue. He was in essence a stranger and it made me feel really uncomfortable, especially because I was in on my own. I'm pretty sure he meant nothing sinister behind it but it is still creeping me out.

I just wondered what other peoples opinion is because I'm not sure if it's me just overreacting with the pregnancy hormones or if hugging and kissing a pregnant woman you have only just met is a bit odd.

That is a bit odd! Especially a kiss it's kind of invading your personal space! I think I would have been the same, lol shocked! I get worried of things like that when I grow bigger like people randomly touching my bump n stuff in the street! In due in June so won't be hiding under coats like I am atm :) x

He probably has some issues, possibly autistic, some have no idea of what is appropriate conversations and also they tend to have no idea about personal space (some get right in yours with no idea it's not appropriate and others will allow others near them).

I think he sounds like that's probably the issue, I'm sure he is perfectly harmless, he just doesn't know what's appropriate.

He probably has some issues, possibly autistic, some have no idea of what is appropriate conversations and also they tend to have no idea about personal space (some get right in yours with no idea it's not appropriate and others will allow others near them).

I think he sounds like that's probably the issue, I'm sure he is perfectly harmless, he just doesn't know what's appropriate.

Thanks, I didn't think of that & I think you might well be right. I think I was just more freaked out than I'd be ordinarily because I was on my own but I'm feeling a lot better about it now x

I work as a pharmacist and sometimes people mistake politeness and chatting as flirting and friendship. Most of the time it's harmless but the odd time they'd crop up on Facebook or come over if you were out to dinner and ask for your number on there receipt.
What happened you is strange but those feelings are weirder in pregnancy as you don't really like to be touched to be honest I would of done the same as you stood there stunned.
I walk my dog everydAy and the same man EVERYDAY asks when I'm due and he always says "keep walking you'll get that head out easier" a bit weird for a 60year old man to say.

Another perspective is that I think sometimes people are really awestruck amazed and moved by pregnancy. My dad has gone off lately about how proud he is of me for chasing my dream of having a family and is so excited about it all. It could have been a harmless expression of excitement for you, some people are more emotional than others and I find men have a lack of boundaries naturally.

Either way, next time just step back and say you prefer your own space thanks to any unwanted touching.

I work as a pharmacist and sometimes people mistake politeness and chatting as flirting and friendship. Most of the time it's harmless but the odd time they'd crop up on Facebook or come over if you were out to dinner and ask for your number on there receipt.
What happened you is strange but those feelings are weirder in pregnancy as you don't really like to be touched to be honest I would of done the same as you stood there stunned.
I walk my dog everydAy and the same man EVERYDAY asks when I'm due and he always says "keep walking you'll get that head out easier" a bit weird for a 60year old man to say.

Ooer! That's a bit graphic lol!

I'm married nearly 7years but they always ask if I'm on my own, bit of a personal question. One of the pharmacists I worked with was a single mom and the amount of people who asked was she keeping it. That made my blood boil. She handled it well I would of told them to f••k off job or no job you can't ask people personal questions like that.

I'm married nearly 7years but they always ask if I'm on my own, bit of a personal question. One of the pharmacists I worked with was a single mom and the amount of people who asked was she keeping it. That made my blood boil. She handled it well I would of told them to f••k off job or no job you can't ask people personal questions like that.

That's outrageous!! I really don't understand some people :wacko:. I wonder what they would have said if she had have said she wasn't keeping it?! Boggles the mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->