B/Feeding after a section...is it possible??

mushy1981

Reaction score
Girls

Can you tell me it is possible to successfully B/feed straight after a section??

I've packed my bags and am not taking formula or bottles...... just nipple cream! :thumbup:

I really want my baby to have my milk, obviously if it's impossible then I am hoping to express then give the bottle as a last resort. :baby:

Any experiences of difficulties after a section? :shrug:

Clare xx

Don't know for sure, but I have heard of woman doing it. Not sure if they have to wait for the medicine to be metabolized or anything though. Good luck.

No experience of this, but I asked this question at the nct class and she said you can have skin to skin straight away and yes you can breastfeed.

i did... i don't see why you wouldn't? after they took baby out during c-section, she got cleaned off, weighed, and wrapped up in a cozy blanket and then got taken into the recovery room where my family was waiting for me.
I came into the recovery room about 30 minutes later and my LO was waiting for me with my family members. I then immediately started nursing her.

depends on whether there are any complications. Usually you should be able to BF quite quickly as they close up quite fast and then they will let you BF in recovery. I did hear of one lady having a planned section and immediate skin to skin before leaving theatre but I think that is unusual and they usually want to wait until out of theatre.

I had complications with my c section as they had torn my uterus twice and couldn't stop the bleeding. This meant I didn't get into recovery until more than 2 hours after my DD was born. I then BF her in recovery and went on to BF for 7 months.

The main issue with a section is that your milk tends to come in a bit slower than with a vaginal delivery. So don't worry if you get to day three and still have no milk, it's normal for it not to come until day 4 or 5 after a section. Good luck.

I breastfed my DD 30 min after c-section. It can be done. Be sure to put pillow over belly first to keep baby's weight of incision. My milk came in 2 days after she was born so no delay here, but everyone is different. Good luck!

Hi, just popping in to say, it is possible. I had emcs, with massive blood loss. So didn't get to feed til 1.5hrs later but here we are 5months on and still going. My milk didn't come in til day 6! But lo only lost 7% of birthweight, so it was totally fine. Don't worry, just put baby to breast as often as you can in the first few weeks.
The bf section on here was so so helpful.
Good luck ladies!! :)

Sorry for adding another question, but if your milk is slower in coming through does this mean you have to bottle feed with formula until it comes in?

Nope, baby can normally survive and thrive on the colostrum for the length of time it takes for your milk to come in, it's great stuff, packed with nutrients and even helps them move their bowels to expel the meconium. :thumbup: my DD never had any top ups and she was fine. :)
Good link to read https://theleakyboob.com/tag/newborn/

I had an Emergency C Section and breast fed as soon as I was in recovery - so about 40 mins after she was born and had no further problems :thumbup:

All sounds very promising, thanks ladies, very helpful indeed!!

c xx

I have had two sections and have had no
problems breastfeeding. Both times I had gone into labour beforehand, I don't know if that triggers the milk coming in or not. With my next section, in two weeks, I am actually hoping to not labour so it will be interesting to see if there is any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"