Babies born on the same day, NOT twins????

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
Anyones thoughts on this?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2010005/Woman-gives-birth-babies-day-NOT-twins.html

I have heard of that happening, but months apart, I don't really think she conceived her babies 2 and a half weeks later, personally I think its an attention thing, she should be happy with her TWINS, and of course they develop differently, they are individuals, my twins develop at different rates and growth and different rates already!

This is quite possible, some people ovulate twice in one month, in fact it is much more likely to happen earlier on than months into the pregnancy :thumbup:

I don't really think she conceived her babies 2 and a half weeks later, personally I think its an attention thing, she should be happy with her TWINS, and of course they develop differently, they are individuals, my twins develop at different rates and growth and different rates already!

Then how do you explain the scan picture in the article? During the first 12-14wks babies grow at the same rate, it's only later in pregnancy that they start to develope differently - size weight etc. That scan clearly shows the large fetus is well below the 12wk Mark. It is entirely possible to ovulate twice in a cycle although very rare.

I do however love the dailymails fabulous exaggerations "and worse yet, their due dates were so far apart that if Julie went into labour early she risked loosing one or both of her babies". Utter tosh!

I can believe that they are not twins, but why say that she is always going to consider the girl older than the boy when in fact they were born on the same day and the boy first!!! Surely that mean's he's older!!!!!

When I was pregnant with my little boy my friend was due to have hers one week before me but I went in to labour 4 weeks early and my little boy was born before her little girl although she conceived first. We don't go round saying that her LO is older than mine!!!!

Crazy! It is definitely possible...I read in a magazine once about a woman who had 2 babies by 2 different fathers at the same time...she'd cheated on her partner days after conceiving the first baby, he wanted a dna test and it turned out that one baby was his, and the other wasn't. I guess I would probably consider them twins though.

i do believe that she could off ovulated whilst already pregnant ....and although there were a few weeks between them, i would still just few them as 'twins' as treat them as the same age,........ not older sister younger brother......:wacko: they are both the same age born the same day and share the same birthday etc :wacko:

I dont see this any differant to fraternal twins where 2 eggs are produced and fertalised by 2 differant sperms (has been known to be by 2 differant men) which is quite common, I know 5 sets of twins and 4 of them are fraternal.

Personaly I wouldnt make a big fuss about correcting people with the fact they arnt twins because to me if they share a womb at the same time then they are twins no matter how individual they are, twins is a special bond of being together literaly right from the start and I wouldnt want to play that special bond down

Fraternal twins is what happened to Neil Patrick Harris and his partner, they both used sperm with the surrigate mother with the intention of they didnt want to know which would be the bioligical father but it turned out she had 2 eggs that where each fertalised and had twins fathered by each of them.

I thought the cervix closed firmly after conception?

I know people are saying that before a certain age all babies grow at roughly the same rate but what about the condition where one twin can take more than their share of nutrients etc? Is it twin to twin transfusion or something?
Could that not be what happened rather than conceiving two babies two and a half weeks apart?

I don't know, I haven't got any medical background.

I agree with the PP who said about the Mail exaggerating though, seeing as you're considered full term between 38 and 40 weeks (I have got that right haven't I?) then a developmental gap of 2.5 weeks is hardly life threatening!

I thought the cervix closed firmly after conception?

I know people are saying that before a certain age all babies grow at roughly the same rate but what about the condition where one twin can take more than their share of nutrients etc? Is it twin to twin transfusion or something?
Could that not be what happened rather than conceiving two babies two and a half weeks apart?

I don't know, I haven't got any medical background.

I agree with the PP who said about the Mail exaggerating though, seeing as you're considered full term between 38 and 40 weeks (I have got that right haven't I?) then a developmental gap of 2.5 weeks is hardly life threatening!

I think (although I may well be wrong) that twin to twin transfusion is between identical twins and not fraternal, as they usually share a placenta :shrug:

I just want to say that I've heard several stories where one sac/fetus measured a few weeks behind (www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com) has stories of being told they would miscarry one twin because it was measuring so far behind only to have that twin catch up some later and carry to term. It is possible for one twin to measure behind and continue to measure smaller throughout an entire pregnancy.

I think i would still call them twins - they have shared the womb for pretty much all of the pregnancy and they were born on the same day.

Obviously it's possible to fertilise more than one egg at a time as that it what happens with fraternal twins.

I don't like the way the article said that one would always be behind the other as all twins have that. And i would celebrate one starting to walk etc even if the other hadn't as again that is generally what happens with twins. It would be totally remarkable if twins did everything at exactly the same time!

Twin to twin happens only in identical twins, where they share a placenta.

But the majority of women with twins have completely different gestational ages from scans, mine were between 5 days and 7 days! They may well have been conceived on separate days, but that is TWINS. I dont think its possible for any type of twin to be conceived at the exact second.

I just really feel sorry for the way she is explaining them, just say they are twins and be grateful for the miracle you had, rather than turn it into something crazy it isn't. they are twins. may have been conceived on separate days but that's normal.

I have heard of babies being conceived months apart, i think that is when women have separate uterus' which is what i was expecting when i read this article, but no, its just twins, she may or may not have ovulated more than once, but any way i look at it its still twins.

it has happened before i believe they may not b etwins the doctor has even comfirmed it

So if thats the case how close do two eggs have to be fertalised to be classed as twins?
Is it something like over 48 hours and they arnt twins?
Still fraternal twins in my mind

This is just soooo overexaggertaed I don't get it?! I believe they could have been concieved seperately, I have heard of it, but to say they aren't twins, that it could be disaster if she went into labour early, and making out the developmental differences would be huge is so irritating....there's TWO weeks between them??!! To describe them as different ages is plain stupid. You've got twins love, and unusual ultrasound and story to tell the grandkids, great good for you- now appreciate your TWINS of the SAME age and get over it!!!!!! It's like me saying I am soooooo much older and mroe developed than my husband because I am 12 days older....

Now what would be an interesting story is if they had different dads! Now that would be a good read!!!!

My step-sister in laws are twins and they have the same situation. One was conceived 2 weeks after the first but by the same father. They are definitely still twins though, born on the same day and while they don't look exactly alike there are strong similarities.

bloody hell its hard enough explaining what types of twins yr carrying without added storeies on top. id say they sound like fraternals to me as thats two eggs and two sperms-but sperm can live in you for seven days, so its possible if youve ovulated two eggs within yr ovulating period then two seperate sperms have impregnated the eggs then this could happen days apart. twins often grow at days apart. thats normal. and fraternals are just like two siblings concieved around the same time and born the same day. how can they not be twins? the age of yr child is by birth date not conception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->