Baby carrier - But which one??

lucylu79

Reaction score
I really want one this time, I live right near the school to drop ds off every morning so the idea of getting the buggy out every day is a bit daunting.

Hubby had a cheap carrier that he used with ds but I couldn't get to grips with it so this time I want one for me and if he can use it then great.

I've looked into the awards but they are in excess of £100 and with less than 3 weeks to go i'm getting towards the end of my budget so ideally was looking more around the £50-80 mark.

My main thing to point out is that for a carrier to work for me it must fit well, and by that I mean because i'm petite. I'm only 4"11 and perhaps that's why I didn't get along with the chicco one, it was so heavy and clumbersome for me.

If anyone has any advice on where to look i'd appreciate it, I was told to look into the 'Caboo' yesterday which I will do shortly.

TIA!!!

We had a carrier for DD but she used to go nuts whenever I tried to carry her in it and headbut my boobs, screaming for a feed! She was fine in it with DH. This time I do want to investigate getting one but not prepared to splash out if I have a baby who doesn't like it. Fortunately, a friend has told me about a local sling library where you can go along and for a small fee try them out for a week. Maybe see if there is one locally to you so you can try out what works best for you and baby :) x

Are you in the UK? If so, it might be worth looking to see if there's a local NCT sling group. They're fab, you can hire different carriers/slings for any amount of time and if you don't get on with it you can change it and try another one. This gives you the chance to try out different ones until you find one you like. Just something to consider :)

If you're buying a carrier buy one that puts baby's legs in the m or frog position. It's really bad for baby's hip development to just dangle down. Also it's good to have a mummy facing pack for newborns not outward facing.

I can't help with a good one for a petite frame but I love the manduca. It's easy and comfy. The ergo is also a good make. A bad one is baby bjorn.

Are there any baby wearing groups/carrier libraries near you where you can try them on first?

We just bought the NCT parent closer caboo. It follows the sprecommendations on leg positioning, looks easy to do up and was £49.95.

I have a Lillebaby and it also does the froggy position and can be used from newborn to about 4 years old - I find it incredibly comfy as did my son and I now have 2 one for my son and one for #2 so both DH and I can carry them when we go for dog walks :thumbup:

Very easy to put on

I'd recommend a connecta, you can pick them up on eBay.

Connectas are great, portable and reasonably priced. Also look at boba and manduca!

I have a stretchy wrap, I got it 2nd hand for 10pound! You wrap it to suit your size and it really snuggles baby in ☺️

I'm going to use a close caboo to start then I have a rose and rebellion from last time. Best bet is to go to a local sling meet, they'll find your perfect match!

Get yourself to a sling meet and try out what fits you best. In terms of carriers specifically, Ergobaby, Manduca, Tula, Boba are all good ergonomic brands. Avoid, avoid, avoid Baby Bjorn or any of the carriers where baby's legs dangle rather than fold up in more of a sitting position and you'll want one where baby faces inward rather than outward. As you're shorter, you may find that some of the carriers aren't especially comfortable for you. My husband and I are tall, and though we liked our Ergo and got alot of use out of it, we found it didn't fit as well in a back carry, though was fine for a front carry. They're just made for people of fairly average height, so if you are on the extreme on either end, they won't fit as well. You will probably find that a wrap is more comfortable and fits you better. I much prefer a wrap to a carrier personally and they are much more flexible and versatile, but they do come with a bit of a learning curve so you'll want to practice first. We have a moby wrap and I think it's great. It was by far my favourite for a new baby, though I loved my woven wrap when my daughter got bigger. Both the Ergo and the woven wrap I can still wear her in at 2.5 years, though the moby was really only supportive up to 6 months (then we moved on to the woven). But get to a local sling meet and try a few on so you get the best fit for you.

I'll be buying a moby wrap for school runs and when I go shopping x

I used to love the baby bjorn but stopped using once I realized that it's not good because of the whole frog position thing, I found one that I love (I've used several including the ergo) and it's very affordable super lightweight and you and dh can both use it too and I'm very short too (4"11 1/2) hehe, have to get my 1/2 inch in there, I'm not sure how Amazon works for you over there but here's a picture and you can get it from Amazon;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe