Baby Carriers

Alisha1985

Mummy to One :-)
Reaction score
Ok so you have probably been asked this many a time but this section was suggested by the Baby Club forum so asking here as well as they said a lot of mum's in this section have them :) .....

I bought a baby carrier from MC. My LO is nearly 6 weeks old but he doesnt look comfortable at all. The support doesnt hold his head. He is all slouched and his head hangs forward... maybe wait until he is a little older and can support his head better? Or are these actually supposed to be ok at this time? It advertises them as Birth+.

The one in the link is what I bought but im thinking its not good enough... can anyone suggest any others

https://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare...33041&mcb=core

The link doesn't seem to connect to anything?

I had a Mothercare carrier at first with Aisling and I absolutely hated it. She didn't seem comfortable in it, it was such a faff getting it on and off with all the buckles etc and it really really hurt me. I switched at 7 months to a mei tai and just wish I'd done it sooner, I think I'd have been babywearing much more if I had. Here's a pic of our mei tai for you:

https://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l393/nualamcanally/Nualasphotos197.jpg

https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42833041&mcb=core

Sorry, i dont know why it didnt. I think the above one might work now??

Thanks for your help. I shall have a look at it. The one above was only £20 thats why i bought it, but maybe this is a 'get what you pay for' kind of thing. Which i dont mind paying anything upto around the £70 mark but only if i know im going to get use out of it because its comfortable for me and my son :thumbup:

Yours looks pretty comfy... although it looks like it doesnt have any head support??? - which is what i need at the minute :shrug:

I had that mothercare one - and a baby bjorn which is the same sort of thing but without the waist band.

I found that when my LO was really little she was lost in either and I just had to be careful how I handled myself so as not to knock her around. I preferred to use my new native side sling for her when she was only a few weeks old as she could snuggle down in it sideways and seemed comfy, although now she is too heavy to have all the weight on one shoulder. The mothercare carrier was great as an introduction to carrying though and she soon grew into it, although she never liked facing outwards and liked snuggling down into me!

I have now switched to a babyhawk mai tai and it's the best thing ever - I wish I had had it when she was tiny. I like that I can adjust it really easily and it's not a hassle to get on and off, even in the back carry.

Aisling was 7 months when I took that pic so she would sit a good bit higher up in it than a younger baby would so I guess the head would be supported by the carrier itself. I've found when she goes to sleep in it, she just leans forward so she's resting on my chset anyway so we've never really needed head support. Some mei tais have a sleep hood which again I think keeps the head in place a bit.

If you google Sling Meet, you might find one in your area. You can go along and try out any of the slings that people bring with them and it'd give you a chance to try a few types before committing to one.

Hiya!
We use a wrap and a ring sling most of the time for Daniel and they support his head really well and he is so comfy in them he just drops straight off to sleep :cloud9:
With our mei tai hybrid (it has D rings instead of tying knots as with a usual mei tai) I tie a muslin across between the straps to support the back of his neck in case he leans back or flings himself, but mostly he is very snuggled inwards and so leans more forwards if you know what I mean?
Google 'The Babywearer' - it is a fantastic resource and I found it so so helpful :flower:

Hi Hun,

We have slings here, i had one of those carriers with DD but like you felt she was very uncomfy in it.

We have use various Wraps, Ellaroo, Gypsymama.

I have a Girasol and a Melkaj Mei Tai on the way :)

They are soo much more supportive. Wraps are the long piece of material you wrap how you want, looks complicated but after a bit of practice its really not :)

Kirsty x

My mei tai cost me £25 from etsy.com and i carried my son in it until he was 18 months old, every day pretty much. I also used a Kari-Me wrap when he was very small.

You can pretty much bank on any structured carrier you'll find in mothercare and the like to be a pile of crap. The gold standard of baby carrying is exactly how you would hold your baby yourself - facing you, with the knees above the hips so baby is in a froggy position. this way, the baby's weight is supported by the bum and thighs rather than the poor thing being suspended from the crotch, where all of the weight is taken by the spine. It compresses the lower spine and forces the hips apart. Plus, they are usually dreadfully uncomfortable for the wearer, too.

if you want head support, i would highly recommend using a wrap such as a Moby or a kari me.

Thanks everyone, i think im going to go for the moby :) i just ordered so it'll come tomorrow. Im so excited!!

I have a carrier like yours, my LO is almost 3 months and she still doesn't look like she fits in it. I have a moby that feels much more secure. Hopefully you'll love your moby too! :D

i just got a moby, can't wait for my baby to be here so i can try it (though she can stay inside me for another 7 weeks please!). the cat didn't want to test it out ;)
xx

i just got a moby, can't wait for my baby to be here so i can try it (though she can stay inside me for another 7 weeks please!). the cat didn't want to test it out ;)
xx

haha !! That sounds like it would be a painful experiment!

Hey hun,
I found the babasling to be the easier and most comfy for me and DS, discovered at a slingmeet then bought one. There is even a video on the facebook page (search for babasling ltd) showing how its used. Tried several other carriers, i think slings win all the way, Babasling worked for me.

Personally I don't like those types of carriers. We have a Sungli that we bougth when our oldest was a baby and I hated it. My DH likes it though, so I guess those types work better for men. I really love wraps and mei tei's. I have a 1 month old who loves being carried in a wrap or mei tei.

did you get your moby yet? how are you liking it? Another great board for sling advice is natural mamas, they have a fab buy/sell board on there too :)

The link doesn't seem to connect to anything?

I had a Mothercare carrier at first with Aisling and I absolutely hated it. She didn't seem comfortable in it, it was such a faff getting it on and off with all the buckles etc and it really really hurt me. I switched at 7 months to a mei tai and just wish I'd done it sooner, I think I'd have been babywearing much more if I had. Here's a pic of our mei tai for you:

https://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l393/nualamcanally/Nualasphotos197.jpg

omg i love your mei tai!

did you get your moby yet? how are you liking it? Another great board for sling advice is natural mamas, they have a fab buy/sell board on there too :)

Yeah i got it :) it came the other day. I got the colour Sienna. I love it! Ive not had LO in it yet... just been practising with tying it at the min... its huuuuuge on me :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->