• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby cereal?

AK89

Reaction score
Do I need to use cereal specifically for babies for my LO or will anything do? I've been giving her normal porridge for her supper mixed with breast milk and never really thought anything of it until I read something about baby cereal.. Is it just a marketing ploy or is it better for them?? I want to start feeding her stuff like weetabix in the morning too so wanted to know before I made the purchase! :)

I gave my DS weetabix and normal porridge when he was your LOs age. Make sure you give yourself time to clean up after weetabix, the stuff is like cement! My LO loved it.

You can use normal but just check out the salt content first (and sugar I'd imagine) x

Are you making your own porridge or buying instant? As others have said just check the salt/sugar if it's instant as some years ago a v young baby died from too much salt from being given ready brek. They may've changed the recipe since then but worth checking the nutritional info box. If salt's high it might also make baby quite thirsty needing feeding more...

I think baby cereal is more for those weaned under 6 months as it is usually only rice/corn based.

Ok thanks ladies :)

When you say check the sugar/salt content, what's too high an amount? I'm a bit clueless!

I use ordinary porridge for my 8 mnth old. It's just organic oats, notbing added. Ive been whizzing batches in the blender each wk to make it smoother but wont do that much longer. I make it with water & add fruit eg mashed banana or puree blueberries.

Not sure about the sugar guidelines but for salt I followed the nhs ones.

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/824.aspx?CategoryID=51

It's just a marketing ploy and more designed for babies weaned under six months as it's rice rather than wheat-based (and they can't have wheat before six months). Any cereal low in sugar and salt is fine. Early on, I stuck with porridge sweetened with fruit puree. Eventually, I added in things like weetabix or shredded wheat, but not everyday, because they do have added salt and sugar, even the 'unsweetened' ones. So you might want to avoid them at first or limit them to not every day. I didn't follow any specific guidelines, just generally tried not to use anything with added sugar or salt for maybe the first few months (to 8-9 months) and then only occasionally, maybe 1-2 times a week, we'd have cereal, having porridge (without sugar) or toast or natural yogurt the other days, so that it was just not every day. For things that are unsweetened, fruit puree or agave nectar was great for adding a touch of sweetness if you want to.

It's just a marketing ploy and more designed for babies weaned under six months as it's rice rather than wheat-based (and they can't have wheat before six months). Any cereal low in sugar and salt is fine. Early on, I stuck with porridge sweetened with fruit puree. Eventually, I added in things like weetabix or shredded wheat, but not everyday, because they do have added salt and sugar, even the 'unsweetened' ones. So you might want to avoid them at first or limit them to not every day. I didn't follow any specific guidelines, just generally tried not to use anything with added sugar or salt for maybe the first few months (to 8-9 months) and then only occasionally, maybe 1-2 times a week, we'd have cereal, having porridge (without sugar) or toast or natural yogurt the other days, so that it was just not every day. For things that are unsweetened, fruit puree or agave nectar was great for adding a touch of sweetness if you want to.

I love your detailed replies MindUtopia...you say just what I was going to say, but better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->