Baby equipment sizing

tu123

Reaction score
How do they decide what size to make, car seats, pushchairs, etc?

My LO has been off the charts for length and weight for a few month snow and her head was above the top of her stage 0 car seat at nearly 6mths. She is 12 kgs but most pushchairs only take a safe weight of 15kg.

Do they make measurements based on the "average" sized baby? Like the red book chart average?

Pointless thread but something that has bugged me for more knowledge for a while.

I assume they would make equipment best suited for the average baby as that would be suitable for most.

Your little one will slow down with her growth soon, my son was growing out a clothes size every few weeks up until Christmas. I put his size 12 - 18 month clothes in his drawers a few days before Christmas and expected him to be out of them by his birthday (March) but he is still fine in them.

William was out of his newborn car seat pretty quick but you shouldn't have to worry about pushchairs, I think most pushchairs are designed to take a child up age about four.

Just saw your signature, I'm so sorry :hugs:

I would not worry about the weight thing. My daughter was in her pushchair until she was 3 and she was always an above average girl.

Is your LO on the move yet? I worry a little too, as Harrison is still piling on the weight (he is two days younger than your LO). He put on 1lb 7 oz in three weeks!!! And I thought that they slowed down alot now. Once she is moving around she will slow right down with her weight.

I am sorry if I have just mumbled a load of nonsense...

I think they must do it on what's 'normal', so I suppose anything on the centile charts is normal. My LO was 99th centile for length and outgrew her car seat at 9 months, which was what the age guideline on it was. I don't think they'd do it on the average i.e. the 50th centile line, as so many babies are above or below that but still in the normal range - they'd get too many complaints if any baby on the 51st centile was too big for their car seat earlier than expected!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->