Baby falls asleep during feed, but then screams when I move her away

atalanta85

Reaction score
Almost 4 months old, my daughter falls asleep while breast feeding. I keep annoying her to keep her awake (pat her bum, stroke her ear, mess her hair, lightly scratch her palm etc) but it doesn't always work.

It wouldn't be such as issue if she was actually feeding more beforehand. When I move her because I can't keep her awake any longer, she reaches out to my boob and tries to relatch. If I don't let her, she screams her head off until I do.

Occasionally I can just give her a dummy and she's happy (a lot of the time I think she's just comfort feeding), other times she's genuinely still hungry.

Is this normal because it's really irritating and putting her usual 20-30 minute feed to 40-60 minutes if I let her do this. And going longer does not change the time between feeds either, it's still 2-3 hours apart.

If she's having expressed milk, she'll feed until the bottle is empty and is happy after that (between 150 to 240 mL)

EDIT: I don't believe it's gas because she's never really had an issue with gas before. She will burp on occasions, but not all the time. Regardless she always spits up milk and does let off a lot but nurse said it's nothing to worry about.

I have had this problem too, more so at bedtime now, but quite often before nap times too. Can you feed her earlier before she gets too tired?

I had to resort to a bottle at bedtime because it was just taking too long to settle him as he would fall asleep yet want more and when I did get him down he would wake up wanting more half an hour later. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->