Baby first aid course - anyone planning to take one?

Mum2BKW

Reaction score
It occurred to me today that it might be sensible to do a Baby First Aid course before baby comes, so Hubbie and I know what to do if LO gets a nasty cut/burn, chokes on some food etc. I've done first aid courses before, including a 1 day course for work, but they weren't specific to babies and infants and I know that some things are very different with such a little one (especially for things like choking).

I suspect Hubbie will suggest just getting a book, which would be cheaper but I think people tend to remember things much better if they've been shown it and practised it.

Has anyone done a course and did you find it helpful? Or are you planning to do one?

This is the one I'm considering:
https://www.redcrossfirstaidtrainin...lic-courses/First-aid-for-baby-and-child.aspx

Thanks!

I've just been thinking about this exactly. I accidentally forgot about our last ante natal class which was on Monday. The class dealt with first aid for babies and children and I'm really gutted to have missed it. I'm due on sat, so think I may order a book for now and then look at booking on some sort of course once baby is here and I feel comfortable leaving them for the day...

I have thought about it but I've been told that my bump birth and beyond course will cover the basics and I'm a nurse and learned paediatric resus in my training, even though I'm an RN, which included dealing with choking. Anyway the point is for now I'm going to wait and see when I've finished bump birth and beyond if I still feel I need more.

I too was seriously thinking of this. Took a first aid course many moons ago, and you forget things as the years go on. I'd like to be prepared in case something should happen. I think it is a very good idea for all parents to have a first aid course behind their belt.

I did one after Adrian was born. It was run by our local Sure Start Childrens' Centre and was free. The Health Visitors give you all the info when they visit you at home.
We've had to use the 'choking on food, smack on the back' a few times! very scary but thanks to the course, i just acted on it, tipped him forward (still fastened into his high chair) and firm smack, out shot the biscotti (1st time) and we both started crying!
You could google your local childrens' centre and see if they do them?
But equally, good plan to do one in advance :)

I took one a few weeks ago and think it's really helpful. It was a CPR and basic first aid course and we learned about choking too. It was specific to infant and toddler. Mine was done at the hospital where I'll deliver and it only cost $15 for the whole day. Well worth it.

edited to add: books are a great resource, but I don't think they compare to actual hands on stuff. (we had those plastic infants to practice the cpr and choking and had to go up one by one and demostrate for the instructor that we knew what to do after we had practiced)

My drs ran a free baby first aid course when lo was a few days old and it was really good and worth while.
Check with your drs, health visitor, midwife, sure start centres even local libraries as they all often advertise first aid courses and its somthing everyone should know.

I did the NCT one a few weeks back, really useful and had a giggle too as one of my friends came along (her little one's three months old now). It's something like £25 or £45 fr 2. The only free ones I could find were taking place after the little one's born but wanted to cover myself from birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->