baby is back to back

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Feeling a little worried that baby is still back to back. The last couple of weeks I've been doing what the midwives suggest to get her to rotate around but she's just not budging! I was having so many contractions at my appointment yesterday the midwife was barely able to make out which position LO is in.

Any tips on how to get her to rotate around? And those that labored back to back and did natural, it can be done yes? The mean midwife I had yesterday told me how hard it's going to be so baby HAS to flip and it's made me very nervous I'll have a horrible birth if she doesn't move.

The baby is head down but just facing anterior? I've never heard of that being a problem, only if baby is breach or something.

I had a back to back baby with my first and went med free. I'll be really honest, I know some women say it's not that bad but for me the pain was very severe. This time around I had another med free birth with baby turned the right way and found labour not that painful so for me there was a big difference.

Now, for what you can do about it...I started sitting straight every time I sat down (so no slouching!), try sitting backwards on a chair with your arms hanging over the top of the chair whenever you eat a meal, use a birthing ball (get down on your knees and hug the ball. Do this while watching tv) and try to spend a lot of time on all fours every day. Some women say washing the floors works great! If you need more options check youtube for some great resources. I hope your baby turns for you!:hugs:

With my first he was back to back which made my contraction much worse and I ended up not being able to push him out so ended up with an emergency c section. But I know of other women who have delivered a back to back baby they do say it's harder but can be done.

My dd was back to back. I went in to be induced at 41+2 and labor started very quickly. It was horribly painful for me, but it was my first time and I have nothing to compare it to. (I am a big baby when it comes to pain) I finally received an epidural when I was 8cm, (I don't think it helped though) and I was able to push her out no problem.

I was never told that she was in that position, if I were, I would have tried to get her turned.

The baby is head down but just facing anterior? I've never heard of that being a problem, only if baby is breach or something.

It's not really a problem, it's just easier if baby is in a particular position when they're head down.

I had a back to back baby with my first and went med free. I'll be really honest, I know some women say it's not that bad but for me the pain was very severe. This time around I had another med free birth with baby turned the right way and found labour not that painful so for me there was a big difference.

Now, for what you can do about it...I started sitting straight every time I sat down (so no slouching!), try sitting backwards on a chair with your arms hanging over the top of the chair whenever you eat a meal, use a birthing ball (get down on your knees and hug the ball. Do this while watching tv) and try to spend a lot of time on all fours every day. Some women say washing the floors works great! If you need more options check youtube for some great resources. I hope your baby turns for you!:hugs:

That sounds awful :( I've been doing lots of all fours, like when I'm on my laptop (right now lol) or reading. While watching tv I'll kneel on the floor and rest my arms on our birth ball or foot cushion.

I catch myself slouching a lot! So I'm sitting on edges of seats leaning slightly forward the last 2 weeks lol. Gosh I hope she turns!

With my first he was back to back which made my contraction much worse and I ended up not being able to push him out so ended up with an emergency c section. But I know of other women who have delivered a back to back baby they do say it's harder but can be done.

Oh no, that's the route I'm worried about! At least it's good to know it can be done though. The midwife I had yesterday was mean anyways, the other two say they want baby to flip because it'll be better but this one made it sound like end of world if she doesn't flip :(

My first 3 boys were back to back and i will be honest after having my fourth and him being the right way round there is a difference. I tried everything to turn them lol. My second son actually turned half way out resulting in a nice cone shape head for an hour lol. But it can be done. Good luck hope baby turns xxx

How do you find out?? Nobody has ever mentioned this to me, only that baby appreas to be head down.

How do you find out?? Nobody has ever mentioned this to me, only that baby appreas to be head down.

My midwives just do their usual feeling around of my belly and where baby's limbs were and just knew.

Dragonfly, it sounds like you are doing everything you can to get her turned so keep doing what you're doing :thumbup:

My take on back labour is to see how you cope when you're in the midst of it. If it's unbearable there's always the option of an epidural or if you're stubborn like me you'll just find a way to get through it! One thing that helped me tons was having my dh push on the sides of my hips really hard with his fists during every contraction. It was the only thing that helped me cope.

Have you checked the Spinning Babies website? It's a little hard to navigate but has great advice on turning a posterior baby.

Haha I'm hoping to be stubborn with no epi because we're doing a birth at a midwife birth center so there's no option of epi unless I want to transfer to hospital. I'll have to remember to have DH push on my hips when in labor, that sounds so good right now lol!

I've heard of the spinning babies website but haven't been to it yet, I'll have to take a peak.

I had a back to back labour with my first. I had nothing to compare it to. It hurt but I imagine all types of labour do. My pain was at the front and in my lower back, bum.

Babies turn so it is completely possible yours will spontaneously turn.

My labour was pretty fast so b2b labour doesn't mean it's slow. I had my DD within 4 hours of going in. Before that the pain was manageable. It may have been quicker but she got stuck on my coccyx and they didn't think she'd be so quick so told me not to push.

I just had gas and air and have quite a low pain threshold. You'll manage it if you have to and there is intervention if you need it. Gl.

Haha I'm hoping to be stubborn with no epi because we're doing a birth at a midwife birth center so there's no option of epi unless I want to transfer to hospital. I'll have to remember to have DH push on my hips when in labor, that sounds so good right now lol!

I've heard of the spinning babies website but haven't been to it yet, I'll have to take a peak.

Lol! Just remember, no matter what, you can do it!! I'm sure you will do great and best of all the pain will eventually be over and you'll have a beautiful baby in your arms. This makes it all worth it :cloud9:

Carhar - Since last night whenever I have bh I feel it really hard in my low back/bum area as well as my front. Glad it doesn't mean it has to go on forever.

Paris - Thank you! I'm really hopeful that I can do it and trust my body. Everyone keeps asking what my pain tolerance is but that's not fair because it really depends.

After talking with my mom she informed me that I was back to back and even though I came out fast she said it was painful and exhausting.

My LO turns back to back quite often so really no telling what position she will be in come labour time. My midwife told me that back to back can be more painful but is completely do-able. Two of her three were back to back and she said the one the right way around was easier but the other two weren't too bad...

Well I guess on the bright side it's my first so I have nothing to compare it with... at least I think that's a bright side lol

My LO was back to back, the bugger turned during labour!

I laboured in the birthing pool with G&A until I was 8cm, by that point the contractions were literally on top of each other and I physically couldn't catch my breath so I got out the pool and had a pethadine shot.

This was amazing as while I could still feel the contractions the pain was different and I felt more in control, LO was born not long after 9 mins of pushing. I had a tiny graze and no tearing so it is totally possible to have a natural birth with a back to back baby :)

My advice would be to listen to your body, only you will know in the situation how you are coping, and stay open minded. Good luck!

Another thing that's recommended is when possible when sat keeping your knees lower than your hips :flower: back labour au naturel is definitely a possibility if faced with it, I did it, it was a different area of pain to where you expect of course, but potentially not impossible to handle :thumbup:

My baby was back to back.....the pain was all in my back and not one in my stomach. I made it on just laughing gas. I laboured at home as long as I could and then spent the rest of the night on all fours in a tub and OH blasted my back with hot water while I huffed gas during contractions and I totally made it! Can't recommend enough if you have access to a shower head. Hot as you can stand it.
My labour was pretty quick and doable....

The worst thing to do in labour is feel worried you 'can't' do it. You can! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->