Baby Josiah James - Born 4th August 2009

bjl1981

Reaction score
I was due on the 31st July, but had no signs of starting at all until the morning of Monday the 3rd August when I had a show.
Later on that day I felt conscious that I hadn’t felt the baby move much, if at all that day, something very unusual for my LO!
I phoned the hospital, and no MWs were around, so I spoke to a registrar who said I should come in immediately to be checked. When I got to hospital (1pm) I was questioned by a MW as to why I had come in, and basically given the impression that had I spoken to a MW on the phone I wouldn’t have!
She took a urine sample, tested my BP and hooked me up to a baby monitor anyway, and never once gave me any info (my urine test result, my BP or if babys heart rate was ok) and just said she’d leave me for 15 minutes to continue monitoring. She popped back in a couple of times over 30 minutes, but still gave no info.
Thankfully that MW went off shift shortly after that and another took over. When she did take over she said “As your BP is still worrying we need to take a blood sample.” I was like, “BP?!!!!”
2 weeks before I’d been admitted to day assessment at the hospital due to high BP, but it had seemed to have settled down, and this was the first I’d heard about it!
They took blood tests and decided that they wanted to induce me, so about 6pm I had a sweep in the hope it might set me off, but it didn’t, so at 8.45pm I had my waters broken. They wanted to hook me up to the chemical drip straight away, but because I had always planned an active birth, and this would me I would be restricted to being on a drip and having continual baby monitoring they gave me an hour to see if breaking waters would bring on labour.
Unfortunately it didn’t, so just before 10 I was hooked up to the drip and to baby monitor, but thankfully they allowed me to sit in a rocking chair rather than lie on bed (this helped me ALOT during the labour).
The contractions started slowly and gently about 1 hour after the drip started, and I managed using breathing techniques and positive thinking to get me to about 4 hours without any pain relief (contractions by that point were about every 2 minutes and lasting 45 seconds). I then tried gas and air, which didn’t really stop the pain, but totally distracted me. I felt so drunk, and considering I don’t drink it was a strange feeling! I managed another hour of this, and contractions were then almost every minute and lasting nearly a minute. The MW by this point had not checked to see how I was progressing and in my mind I thought I must be about 6-7cm dilated, purely based on the contractions!
Unfortunately when she did check she said I was only 2cm!!!!!!
The drugs were causing my contractions to come thick and fast, but my cervix wasn’t dilating, and unfortunately every contraction meant baby being pushed down with nowhere to go, and the heartbeat would drop from 140 to about 80 BPM. The MW was really concerned and went to get a doctor, who also examined me and having watched the fluctuating heart rate decided almost immediately that I needed an emergency section.
Everything happened so quickly in the end, and within 15 minutes my beautiful baby boy was delivered!!!
Josiah James, weighing 7lbs 13 oz.
My husband waited outside and they took Josiah to him whilst they stitched me up, but I wasn’t offered any skin to skin contact at all and because he was born during the night I was taken straight to the ward and my husband was asked to leave. This meant the first time I got to hold him was 10am when my DH returned and was able to give him to me. I’ve had considerable problems breastfeeding, and part of me wonders if this is something to do with the initial contact which was missed.
I spent 4 days in hospital ( I made a good recovery, but Josiah was struggling with feeding and I was having to express milk and feed him from a syringe/cup and needed alot of help to try and establish breastfeeding) and am now home and trying to get used to being a mum!
Thank you if you have persevered reading this, I know its a long one!

Attachments

• DSC04211.jpg
    DSC04211.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 20
aww, congratulations!

sounds like you didn't have the best of times, must be worth it all now tho xx

Congratulations he's wonderful, sorry your having feeding troubles I hope you work them out soon. xxx

YAY! Huge congrats

I had the rocking chair, drip , monitor too :( wasnt what i wanted either but all was for the best in my case :)

:blue:

xxxx

Congratulations - what a story, it doesn't seem like they really gave you the care and attention you needed :( but you do have a very gorgeous little boy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->