Baby led Breastfeeding

allforthegirl

Mom of 5 boys
Reaction score
Wow I have to say it really really does work. This is baby #5 for me, and the 4th I have bf. I battle with Reynauds and is excruciating!! I always had major issues with cracking no matter how well I get get the latch, which would take about a full month to heal completely.

This time I was introduced to baby led latching and WOW what a difference. Yes I have cracked but the look of my nips look amazing in comparison to my others.

No matter how many times I try and latch him myself the pain can be very sharp. If I let him do it himself it is almost heavenly in comparison!! When I talked to my La lache they even said they have been finding that babies are way better at it, and we are doing things all wrong, and just getting in the way!!

That's interesting. If I let dd latch on alone she just tends to pull at my nipple which kills!
Though sometimes it does if I do it xx

Have you tried the laid back position and then let her do it? That is what the Lactation consultant showed me. Now don't get me wrong I will still get the first initial pain do to a crack, but once he is on there is no pain or discomfort and if he pulls off then goes back on (overactive letdown) I feel nothing.

Definitely going to try this with #2, my girl just sucks my nipple in like a vacuum cleaner these days :dohh: But then again she is almost 2 and has always been a lazy latcher.

Ah, you're talking about biological breastfeeding. :thumbup:

Google - breastfeeding breast crawl.

Very interesting. :flower:

I tried but it hurts more when he roots around my nips R so sore and white when he's done feeding :(

I tried but it hurts more when he roots around my nips R so sore and white when he's done feeding :(

Are they white because he is pinching them or do they come out round and white? Cause that could mean that there is a different issue.

He's pinching them I think they turn white and burn after he's done and they look squashed but I just can't seem to get him on any better :(

I had this when latching myself. It wasn't until I had a breastfeeding support worker that I learnt how to properly latch. The difference is amazing. Seriously NO pain. She showed me a technique which is "up and over" so start with babies head underneath the boob facing up, when they gape, quickly shove your nipple in their mouth with an up and over action (sorry if thats not clear). This makes sure they get a good mouthful of areola, thats the key. I had cracked and bleeding nipples and the burning/white pinched bits you describe until I changed how I latched. You almost have to be a bit more forceful than you think at first. My LO struggles opening her mouth wide enough so it still takes a few attempts but were getting there.

Its hard to describe, maybe there are videos on you tube?
I basically try to get as much of the bottom half of my areola in her mouth as possible with the nipple being at the top of her mouth. I also use my nipple to pull down her bottom lip which helps her open a bit wider. Its practise and I still get it wrong but now I know how it should feel I can quickly correct it if I feel any pain before any damage is done. Good luck xx

He's pinching them I think they turn white and burn after he's done and they look squashed but I just can't seem to get him on any better :(

Has he been checked for tongue tie? Can he stick his tongue out of his mouth? This can cause compression of the nip. There are variations to getting a good latch and depending on how your baby's mouth is shaped and even your nips are shaped. Like Jayney mentions a consultant can help you figure out what exactly is going on. Even contacting a La Lache League leader can help tons!
https://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar00p10.html

I had this when latching myself. It wasn't until I had a breastfeeding support worker that I learnt how to properly latch. The difference is amazing. Seriously NO pain. She showed me a technique which is "up and over" so start with babies head underneath the boob facing up, when they gape, quickly shove your nipple in their mouth with an up and over action (sorry if thats not clear). This makes sure they get a good mouthful of areola, thats the key. I had cracked and bleeding nipples and the burning/white pinched bits you describe until I changed how I latched. You almost have to be a bit more forceful than you think at first. My LO struggles opening her mouth wide enough so it still takes a few attempts but were getting there.

That is awesome that you are getting the hang of this. :thumbup:

No tongue tie I put as much lower aereola in as possible and try to push down his chin with it think he hollows his cheeks a bit lol I will keep practicing not gonna give up and hopefully the consultant can help on Friday if I haven't got it b4 then thanx ladies so nice to not feel alone x

No you totally not alone. This is not my first time and I am still learning!! Man right now I am dealing with thrush. So I am trying a bunch of different things to get rid of it, including grapefruit seed oil, all purpose nipple ointment, gentian violet, probiotics and even coconut oil!! I am thinking while I am on all these meds that I need to really get deep under it before it gets really bad! Good news though only two more days left of meds so things should be getting even better very soon!! I am very excited to just enjoy BFing my little squishy!!

yay think I've got it! Hurts waaayyy less now and getting more aereola in his mouth thanks soooo much guys xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->