Baby Maxs birth at 37 +4 TRAUMATIC

jollygood000

Mammy to a boy and girl
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick warning before you read this that things didnt exactly go to plan during my labour and delivery and this could be a pretty upsetting read but I always enjoy reading other peoples birth stories so thought I would share for those who are interested :)

Some of you may already know that I was booked for an elective section on 5th October as I have had 2 previous emergency sections. I went for my pre op on Friday 30th September, on that morning Id had a load of mucous plug come away but as Id been losing it in bits for weeks I thought nothing of it.

At 5pm that evening I was at my MILs when I felt a little wet all of a sudden, I went to the toilet and had another show and seemed a bit wet, I wasnt leaking anything but said to DH that we should go home so I could put a pad on. I was getting tightenings but they just seemed like Braxton hicks to me as they werent hurting at all.

By 6.30 I was getting these tightenings every 3-4 mins and they were lasting about 40seconds they were slightly painful but nothing serious, as I was due to have the section and wasnt supposed to labour I rand L&D who advised me to go in and get checked out. At this point i wasnt convinced it was labour at all... however the car journey changed my mind, they started getting so much stronger in the car so I was having to concentrate and breathe through them.

When we arrived in L&D I was strapped to the monitor to check baby and it showed I was having regular contractions every 2 mins, at 8pm my water broke. They checked me with a speculum and said my cervix was slightly dilated but still long and not effacing... then all of a sudden contractions picked up really quickly, I was in agony, they were shooting off the scale and I was having 45seconds in between them (the exact same thing happened in my last labour and the couldnt explain why) and they were lasting for a minute. At 9.20pm they confirmed that they were going to take me to theatre for a semi elective section. BRILLIANT was all I could think.... I still hadnt been checked to see if Id dilated but as they inserted the spinal Im pretty sure that I was going into transition stage as I felt the urge to bear down and I could feel my cervix burning!

Sooooo, getting back to the section, my hubby came in with me and we were all excited as our bump was yellow, at 22.26pm baby Max Robert Elwell was born, he cried immediately and had an APGAR score of 8 and 10 after 5 mins. We both had a cry as DH has 2 daughters and was desperate for a boy! We were so happy.

Unfortunately this is where it went wrong for me, I could feel them shoving me about and I was getting jiggled all over the table, they started asking others to ring down for some blood as I was going to need a transfusion... I was still really alert through all of this but wasnt too concerned as I was too busy staring at my gorgeous boy. All of a sudden I started to shake uncontrollably and my eyes rolled back in my head, I was saying I couldnt get my breath and something wasnt right. The anaesthetist reasurred me I was fine and to keep breathing. Next thing I know they asked my husband to take the baby and leave with a MW and they had to put me to sleep as they couldnt stem the bleeding. Next thing I know I had two breaths of gas and was out... I woke up in recovery at 1.20am with 2 midwives observing.

I was told by my consultant shortly after that due to severe scar tissue when they made the incision into my uterus it tore in many places, they removed the uterus to operate but couldnt stem the flow and unfortunately I had to have a total hysterectomy.

I lost 8pints of blood and was given 2 transfusions over the next 24hrs.

I wont go into any more details about it, I was in for a tubal tie anyway so Im not too upset about the hysterectomy and they left my ovaries in so Im hoping I wont go through the menapause.

On a happier note, Max (who was born at 37+4) weighed in at 7lb 3oz, he is a picture of health and has had no problems at all, he is absolutely beautiful and we all adore him! My recovery has been slow and 6 days in Im still laid up although I got out of hospital yesterday.

For anyone else who has had previous sections and Ive scared you please dont be worried, my consultant told me she has only had to do this twice in the last year so its not common.

Thanks so much for sticking with this story I know its long but I thought it would be something different ;-)

Good luck everyone xxx

aww im realy sorry u had such a bad time of it and hope u recover asap, but congrats on ur lil boy im sure hes beautiful!! xx

Congratulations, hope u feel well again soon xxx

Congrats! What a scary post delivery! I hope you are mending well and all is going well with the new baby.

Congratuations!! Glad you were okay through the surgery and hysterectomy....sounds very traumatic but I'm glad to hear you were planning a tubal anyways. :hugs:

First off, Congratulations on your little man!! yay!!

2nd...Your story just scared me! :( I have had 3 c-sections, and DH and I want to try for another (would be his first mom, children are from a previous relationship) and we want one more, but maybe too. I hope I never have to experience what you did. So scary, but if you were going to get your tubes tied anyways, than it's not that scary!

Congratulations!!! =) So exciting!!

Bless your heart.
I hope recovery for you is going well.
I'm proud of you for posting your story, must have been difficult to write.

Congratulations on the birth of little Max (cute name too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->