Baby measuring small and no heartbeat at 8 weeks...

hopestruck

Mommy to a Miracle
Reaction score
Had an emergency ultrasound this morning after some spotting last night. Ultrasound tech was able to find baby, but it was only measuring 7+2 (+/- 5 days), and she couldn't see the little flicker of the heart beating :(. Based on my ovulation date I should be 8+4. I was charting so I know my dates can't be more than a couple of days off. However, what concerns me the most was the lack of a heartbeat.

Has anyone been through this before? I'm just curious to hear others' experiences, bad or good. We are already expecting the worst.

Thanks ladies :flow:

I don't have a personal story, but I have read some ladies don't get their first heartbeat until after 9 weeks. Don't forget that there are ladies that are lucky and hear/see theirs early and to the contrary there are ladies who are the small percentage that don't see it until a ways into the pregnancy. Was it bright red spotting or more of a pinkish just when you wiped?

Thanks Brittles. It was only a bit of light brown spotting. The pelvic exam showed that the cervix was still closed. However, that's how my last miscarriage began (started bleeding about 2 days later).

As far as i know the heartbeat should be visible by 6.5 weeks on ultrasound.

I had a scan at 8.5 weeks after spotting last year and the baby was there but measured 6 weeks and there was no heartbeat, the sonographer said i may have had my dates wrong and the heart just had not quite started yet but i knew i was 8.5 weeks because i knew when i ovulated and we did not make love after that. I started to bleed heavily a few days later and at my 2nd scan a week later my womb was empty. Not sure this is what you wanted to hear but thought i would share my experience :flower:

Good luck to you and i am so sorry you are having to go through this :hugs:

Hi Dee, yes that's exactly what I wanted to hear - just others' experiences with this type of situation. It's good to know what others have gone through and what to expect. Thanks for sharing xx

So sorry hun :hugs:
Are you going back for another scan?

I had scans at 6 and 8 weeks. We couldn't see much more than a sac at both and there was no heartbeat at either scan so we were expecting the worst. A scan at 9 weeks showed bouncing baby and heartbeat. Miracles do happen x

Dee - I'm not sure yet. I actually had a scan scheduled for Tuesday, so I'll have to see what the doctor says about whether or not I should keep it (I'm seeing him in about an hour). I'll keep you posted. I would like to confirm with at least one more scan though, I think.

Mrs R - Wow, that's incredible. I'm not optimistic about something like that happening for me, but God willing, that would be absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

Good luck xx I wish you much better things for the future :hugs:

Thanks Dee. All the best for you in your pregnancy!

PS - I go by the name "Dee" too : )

Thank you - i am scared to death in this pregnancy after 2 MC's but i am trying to stay positive :flower:
My name is Domanique but i have always been known as Dee lol
Whats your name?

Take care xxxx

I'll send you msg with my name as I don't want it to be out on the interweb (it's fairly unique) :)

I know how scary it is! However, odds really are still in your favour. Have you had any tests done? I didn't want any after my 2nd loss (cuz there's still a chance it was just bad luck), but after a third I don't think I have any reason not to investigate a little bit.

I'll send you msg with my name as I don't want it to be out on the interweb (it's fairly unique) :)

I know how scary it is! However, odds really are still in your favour. Have you had any tests done? I didn't want any after my 2nd loss (cuz there's still a chance it was just bad luck), but after a third I don't think I have any reason not to investigate a little bit.

Personally I have had them go both ways. I've had pregnancies where they didn't see or hear the heartbeat until after 8 weeks, and had them see them early. If it's just brown spotting, it still could be good. I've also had one late 1st trimester m/c where for some reason the heart stopped. I've had every test you can imagine and still, after 7 m/c, they say they are unexplained m/c. No known cause. But, on the bright side, I do have 5 children as well. Here's hoping they find the heartbeat, beta's keep rising, and you get your H&H in another 8 months or so. :hugs:

Hi ladies, thanks so much for your concern and my apologies for the slow reply. At the appt with my doctor on Friday, he basically said that it looks like a missed miscarriage :( My HCG was really low (in the 4000s, much lower than it should be even for a 7+2 embryo), which likely means it's dropped. Over the weekend I mainly had spotting, but last night it turned into a bit more of a bleed. I would say it's like a light period. I have my follow-up ultrasound tomorrow. At this point I have accepted that this is a loss, but will feel better once I've confirmed it with a 2nd ultrasound. The doctor have me misoprostol to speed up the process, but I am hoping things move along without assistance as I would greatly prefer to m/c naturally.

Hi ladies, thanks so much for your concern and my apologies for the slow reply. At the appt with my doctor on Friday, he basically said that it looks like a missed miscarriage :( My HCG was really low (in the 4000s, much lower than it should be even for a 7+2 embryo), which likely means it's dropped. Over the weekend I mainly had spotting, but last night it turned into a bit more of a bleed. I would say it's like a light period. I have my follow-up ultrasound tomorrow. At this point I have accepted that this is a loss, but will feel better once I've confirmed it with a 2nd ultrasound. The doctor have me misoprostol to speed up the process, but I am hoping things move along without assistance as I would greatly prefer to m/c naturally.

So sorry you are going through this. I hope they can get to the bottom of the issue and you get to have a little bouncing bundle of joy. :hugs::sad2::sadangel:

Just wanted to let you know that I passed the baby tonight. It was a completely peaceful and surreal experience. I had some stronger cramping for about 20 minutes, then went to the bathroom about an hour later. The sac dropped into the toilet and I quickly went down and picked it up. We both held it and looked at the perfect looking little person inside. Tomorrow we'll take baby to the hospital for testing, but we were so glad to have our goodbye. The whole experience was essentially painless. Rest in peace little baby <3.

I am so sorry for your loss. That is how I lost my second angel. I hope the hospital is able to give you some answers and that you can find peace.

So very sorry for your loss. I have had one so can sympathize with you as others here have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->