Baby measuring small

charlieworld

Reaction score
Morning all,

I was wondering if anyone had any stories to share about their baby measuring small but ending up ok?

4 weeks ago (28wks), baby measured 27cm, therefore small.
Yesterday (32 wks), baby measuing 28-29cm.

Both readings are under the 10th centile and not showing the curvature of growth expected. I am 5'8" and a size 12-14, my husband 6'4" so neither of us are small.

Got me all scared. I'm waiting for a full baby measure scan appt.

Fundal height measurements are not always accurate, depending on the mother's body shape, baby's position and amount of amniotic fluid.
I've been measuring 2cm behind for a while and my OB got concerned and sent me for two growth scans. Baby is measuring in the 50th percentile, she is growing perfectly. I'm just small.
Don't get worried. Wait for your scan as they are by far more accurate than taking a tape measure to your belly.

Yep been there doing that.

At 28 weeks i measured 27 and then at 31 weeks measured 28 so ive been having all sorts of scans since.

She is always below the 10th centile but is growing on a steady curve so i am not worried. Got another scan next weds and likely another at 38 weeks and then hopefully thats it!

Ive also had separate scans to measure fluid and cord blood flow. Always do blood pressure and urine sample. So if you go for a scan be prepared for lots more but if baby is going up their own line its all ok :)

Thank you ladies for your replies. I guess I'm a bit nervous as my first was born by eCS at 33 weeks after IUGR, reduced fluid and foetal distress............

Thank you ladies for your replies. I guess I'm a bit nervous as my first was born by eCS at 33 weeks after IUGR, reduced fluid and foetal distress............

:hugs: Got my fingers crossed that all is ok with this LO

Charlie, I'm a bit taller than you and if they measured my fundal height it would be nothing - my bump has been tiny. The scans are far more accurate but even they can be out by +-10% in terms of weight of baby, which gives you an idea of how wrong a fundal measurement can be.

I'm nearly 38 weeks now and had a period of monitoring as his abdomen was a little small. It's still at the lower end of the percentiles but that's still classed as "normal".

Completely understand your concerns but try not to worry until you've had the scan :hugs: x

Hi there,

I would really try not to worry, with DS2 I was always measuring small and was on the 10th centile and got sent for growth scans and they said his abdomen was small and the length of his femurs were small and they predicted he would have a birth weight of around 5lbs but he was born at a healthy 7lbs 8oz and was very long so I don't know where he had been hiding in there lol! :thumbup:

As long as baby is growing and your getting regular movements etc I should think everything will be ok :flower:

I always measured 3-5 weeks small with my fundal height. I was sent to several growth scans and they always assured me she was on the 50th percentile. She was born on the 25th percentile and right now is on the 2nd percentile. She is very petite, but healthy! Oh, her head is on the 70th percentile though...she's my little bobble-head!

When I was a baby/toddler/kid I was always on the 98th+ percentile, and now I'm 5'4" and 120 pounds. OH was a runt as a kid and is only 5'8" as an adult. We've got a mixed bag here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->