Baby "Movement" Monitor...?

ashybug

Pregnant with #1!
Reaction score
What's the point in a movement monitor compared to a regular audio one?

They're quite a lot more money so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

What for once baby is born do you mean?

If its one for after baby is born the point is to detect when the baby hasn't moved for so long and sounds an alarm, suitable for children with breathing problems . But also because audio ones only pick up when baby makes a noise, the movement monitor to detect lack of movement and alert the parent.

Absolutely worth it for me - the piece of mind I got from watching the movement sensor ticking away was priceless. With sound alone I know I would have been checking far more frequently. We did have a couple false alarms when DS rolled to the side of the crib, but I'd take 100 false alarms over not knowing any day. We used the Angelcare monitor and will be doing the same this time.

It depends how you plan to sleep. We've always co-slept so either with my daughter in bed with me or (now that she's getting too big) in her co-sleeping cot attached to our bed. No point in using a monitor then as she's right there and I'd probably set it off myself.

Personally, I think it has the risk of lulling you into a false sense of security, such that you don't check on your baby as much as you ought to if they are sleeping apart from you. Just be careful though because there's someone in Baby Club who said her daughter was able to pull the sensor pad wires out from under the sheet and she found her with them wrapped three times around her neck one morning! That to me is scarier than just keeping my baby close at night.

The movement monitor picks up the breathing movements, so if your baby stops breathing the alarm goes off.

It was definitely worth it for me. I was waking up at night every 5 minutes to check her breathing, I was driving myself insane!

You do have to be careful with the wires, but if you are aware of it then its easy to keep them out of the way.

I hated my angel care movement monitor. I would always forget to turn it off in the middle of the night. So there is like a 10 second delay so just when I got my stitched up bottom on the couch with a baby it would go off and it would startle me, startle baby, wake up husband and then I had to get up (not easy).
There is no proof they catch SIDS either. Maybe useful if your worried someone will steal baby from crib? Otherwise a torrure device for tired new mothers.

Personally I wouldn't be without it!
I get serious peace of mind from seeing the heartbeat ticker when I wake up in the night or I'm downstairs in the evening. Mine does video too so I can see what's happening.
Tbh if it's properly installed I don't really know how the wires would get caught up? Maybe if the child is older but no way a baby could pull back the crib sheet over the mattress and then slide the sensor out..but for the first 6 months or so it def gave me peace of mind. The wires come right out of the bottom of the cot underneath so they would have to have the strength to sit back on the mattress and pull the sheet and mattress up to et the wires up, plus the monitor part on the other end wouldn't fit through the bars so that would have to be unplugged too.. I would say its incredibly unlucky that would happen.
I'm not a worrier but when dd was in her own room I used to go in and check on her all the time as I was worried she had stopped breathing for no reason! On mine you can see the breathing rhythm and heartbeat, it's the angelcare one.
Def wouldn't work or be much point if you were co sleeping, I agree there. Yes it does give you a fright when you go to pick them up in the night and forget to turn it off! Have had hubby run in many times in a panic lol.
But at the end of the day it's down to you, if you are planning on having baby in your room for a few months and you would be happy without it then there's no need. I feel a lot happier with it, you can pick them up pretty cheap at nearly new sales or on eBay, it just gives me an extra bit of peace of mind for the first few months but I wouldn't carry on using it long term for years etc

I wouldn't be without mine - we've even taken it to Spain on holiday twice. My LO is 18months old now and we only recently stopped using the motion pad. We have the Angelcare movement one and for me it was worth every penny and in using it every night for more than one year, we never ever had one false alarm.

BTW - we put the pad under the mattress and used cable ties to secure the wires around one of the bars so it could never have been a danger. In fact I had to use scissors to cut the cable tie when I took away the pad so it's all about how you safety check these things!

I also have the angelcare movement monitor and I love it. Never had false alarms and I always remembered to switch it off before picking up lo, it just became second nature really.
I tested it with packs of nappies in the cot to pretend it was baby weight but the alarm went off as it wasn't moving. But if I gently pressed on the nappies rhythmically like breathing, it wouldnt go off. I thought it was very clever!
Definitely gives you peace of mind, so I would recommend x

BTW - we put the pad under the mattress and used cable ties to secure the wires around one of the bars so it could never have been a danger. In fact I had to use scissors to cut the cable tie when I took away the pad so it's all about how you safety check these things!

Yes we secured the cable too, it dropped down underneath the mattress and secured it to the leg of the cot and the bar underneath. I never thought that baby could have got hold of the wires, it was hard enough for me to get them off when we wanted to take it away with us!

I think its a huge waste of money. especially if baby will be in your room for the first little while.

I think the false alarms wouldn't be worth it and even with my little 20 dollar audio monitor I could hear my son breathing and id checked on him anyways .

Do you mean false alarm as in it goes off without cause or you mean when you forget to turn it off?
I've never had it go off when it's not meant to, only when I picked her up in te beginning and forgot to press the button, only made that mistake a couple of times tho lol

Do you mean false alarm as in it goes off without cause or you mean when you forget to turn it off?
I've never had it go off when it's not meant to, only when I picked her up in te beginning and forgot to press the button, only made that mistake a couple of times tho lol

We had a couple false alarms when DS was up in the corner of his crib so the sensor couldn't detect him anymore. And yes, of course the ones where we'd forget to turn it off haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->