Baby not feeding all the formula, but still eating ok -- why is he stuck in NCIU?

SabrinaKat

Delighted Mum to Finn
Reaction score
Stupid question, but the title says it all....

My LO went off to NCIU last Friday night because I was very poorly (I went to high dependency) and he had a little water on the lungs (emergency c-section); he was off the machine (can't remember the name, but was not not breathing, more crackles/grunting at birth?) by Sunday and for the last three days, the only issue is feeding....

Finn will sometimes drink all the formula at one sitting, sometimes, he gets bored half-way through and falls asleep (so receives the rest from a tube through his nose (which he doesn't like!); they are saying that he cannot come home until his entire feed is done at one sitting for each feed over 24hours. If he was at home, I would simply feed him the bottle as long as he liked and then let him sleep for a few hours and feed the rest, making sure that he had all the formula over 24hours rather than forcing a certain amount every four hours.

Should I speak to the doctors or assume that the NCIU know best? (He weighs almost 7lbs (at birth 6.11)) and otherwise is absolutely fine)...

thanks!

That is a bit odd, they dident care how much how often Niamg had her milk as long as she got the same amount overall.

Yes, it is odd -- my MIL said that my husband was the same (at home, tho)...I'm going to talk to the doctors when we go in today. Obviously, if there is another reason, then absolutely baby must stay in....

growl....

They said the same thing to us about feeding. Clayton had to eat 40 ML (each feeding) on his own for 48 hours before he could come home. Also they told us that he should eat the 40 ML in 1/2 an hour because any longer than that he is burning more calories than he is getting. Clayton took about a week to learn how to eat. I know it is hard, but hang in there. You don't want to rush him when he isn't ready!

Coming from a mum who has been battling two really bad feeders, been in and out hospital with food refusal and poor weight gain. You don't want to rush him, you don't want a baby home who isn't feeding properly. His weight gain is good but only because they are topping him up via the tube.
I would say they would know what they are talking about and I feel the more detailed approach is way better than sending a baby home with feeding issues.
I guess they have a duty of care and they sound like they genuily want to make sure your son is feeding well upon release.
Unfortunately mine never got that and 18mths on they are just getting the hang of small lumps and eating in a high chair

I think they are wanting to make sure that he knows he is hungry and not just snacking a little. He will need to be taking all or most of his bottle before he can come home, and whilst you might want to give him more free reign at home my advice would be to try to keep him more or less on the same routine which he won't do if he is only allowed to have half his feed as and when he wants it x

He's started to increase his feed, albeit slowly (65mls on own, 15mls tube), so we are optimistic that he might get home on Tuesday. I mentioned to the doctor that we were planning to do three hour, rather than four hour for the first few days (so 60ml, rather than 80mls) and they didn't see a problem with that....

I KNOW it's all best for baby, but it breaks my heart to leave him there.....

thanks,

What's the reason for doing 3 hourly feeds rather than 4 if you don't mind me asking xx

The hospital wants him to drink 80ml every four hours or 60ml every three hours. We thought since he is okay on his own around 50-60ml, but then gets super-tired that last 20-30ml and they use the tube, taking a wee bit of pressure off him, e.g. going back to 3 hour feeds might be better.

In fact, the hospital did listen and he has been able to drink all his feed since they went back to 3 hour schedule and will hopefully come home tomorrow or Wednesday. At home, we will stick to a 3 hour schedule and then, slowly increase to four hours. He is only 10 days old!

best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->