Baby Overeating?!

ashoriginal

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post here, and I'm hoping that someone can offer some insight or advice as I am a first time mom and confused about everything it seems :wacko:

Baby Girl is 3 months as of September 11th. Wasn't able to breastfeed, long story short it just didn't work and I had to switch to formula. Were using Nestle Good Start, but initially she was on Enfamil, but only for the first two weeks. She was great with the transition to Good Start, but now I am noticing some "issues". I say "issues" because I am not really sure what is going on.

As of right now she is eating anywhere from 5-6oz a feeding, but she wants this feeding every hour or hour and a half. Trying to stretch her anything further than that is impossible. She downs the full 5-6oz and sometimes will fuss and cry as if she wants more. I have given her more to only have her spit it all up and then get super cranky.

But now she is spitting up after every feed, I am changing her multiple times a day and we can barely do tummy time otherwise she will be in a puddle of spit up. I've now lessened the amount of formula to 4-5oz a feed, but she still wants this every hour, she still spits up just not as much. My Dr. says to feed her on demand, but everything I have read says formula fed babies should be going for longer stretches of 3-4 hours and she barely gets to 1.

I try giving her a paci, but she instantly spits it up but she's constantly gnawing at her hands and sucking her thumb but is still super fussy, it doesn't soothe or calm her.

So, am I overfeeding her? If so how can I get her to go longer stretches between feedings? If this is normal, why is everything I have read say formula fed babies should be going longer between meals. She is a big baby, born at almost 9lbs10oz, and is currently 15lbs8oz at 3 months. My Dr. is not concerned by her size or her feeding patterns, but I can't help to think her eating is exessive. Should I worry?

You might look into whether she has reflux. At 3 months, you're right most babies would be going longer stretches, but I would be more concerned about the fact that she's spitting up so much. It's normal for them to spit up a little, but if it's a lot, happens regularly or seems in discomfort, it could be a sign of reflux. Often babies who have reflux want to feed more even though they aren't hungry because it makes the discomfort caused by reflux feel better - kinda like for adults who have reflux, eating something or drinking a glass of milk can sometimes bring relief temporarily. But then they end up spitting it all back up because their stomachs are already full and that can lead to even more discomfort because that brings up more stomach acid. I'd have a chat with your doctor about it and see what advice they'd have for you. In the meantime, keeping her upright after a feed might help soothe her (you might look into using a wrap as it will both keep her upright and comfort her).

Could you try a hungry milk version of your milk?

I hope this doesn't sound rude but is your little one def hungry? My LO was the same until 13 weeks when I started following a rough schedule my friend suggested. He went from feeding every 1.5 hours to sleeping 9pm-5am bottle then sleeping until 8 :) I think its from the baby whisperer although I never read the book. Basically my son was tired and teething but people kept saying he was hungry so I kept trying to feed, it was stressful and I just couldn't believe he was still hungry. Maybe your LO is teething and sleepy? It took me a while to settle him for naps at first but now he is like clockwork and the happiest wee chap!

get her checked for reflux hun.. you shouldnt be needing to change her as often from spitting up. Also it might be she doesnt like that formula and it might be upsetting her tummy making her want to feed more. my friends little girl has cmpi and before it was diagnosed she was constantly feeding and spitting up. xx

This sounds like our little one. She is now three weeks old and i've just started her on infacol for colic. She showed all the hunger signs, rooting, lip smacking, sucking fists less than an hour after taking more milk than recommended. Screamed with an arched back and stiff legs. It got to the stage last week when i dreaded her waking for a feed, basically if she was awake she was grumpy/ starving. We were so worried we'd end up with an overfed baby.
Now feeding her every 3 to four hours. If especially grumpy in between hv said to give her 30 mls cool boiled water. Seems baby can't tell the difference between hunger pangs and tummy ache/ colic. Now we are winding her using the colic drops and trying to soothe her through the crying fits without feeding her we are all more relaxed.
Good luck finding something that works for your little one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->