Baby position in sling

Hanna

Reaction score
Hi

I have a quick question. I am trying to convince a friend that a sling might be good for her newborn (10 days old) who is crying a lot when awake.

I have a wraparound sling and she came to see me last week and tried it on. She said she was worried about the position he ended in (curled into a fetal position) as his back was not straight (which is what midwifes apparently recommend).

We tried different positions:
Front Wrap Cross Carry and Hammock-style.

I personally think having him with his back straight is putting a lot of strain on his back for now.

She liked it otherwise and he stopped crying there and then!!! :thumbup:

How can I convince her? Any tips?

X

I was really nervous about using a sling, too until I finally found one that I felt comfortable with. I was nervous about suffocating my baby as I'd never worn an actual sling before.

If she is uncomfortable with it, I don't think you should try and force her to use one. She'll need to decide for herself if it's something she wants to do. If she doesn't like it and is tense about it, the baby can sense that, too. Maybe let her borrow your sling, or buy one for her and let her try it in the privacy of her own home?

It took me using about four different types of carriers until I found one that was right for me and for baby. Now that I've got the hang of it and I know what I'm doing, I'll be branching out and getting some of the more advanced ones.

Ultimately, it will just have to be her decision. You're a great friend for being so concerned and trying to help..just try not to be critical or force it on her. :hugs:

If she's worried about positioning maybe reccomend an upright wrap like a close or a moby :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->