Baby powder help?

BabyCleo

New mama to Lily-Grace
Reaction score
Hey all -

Im a cloth diaperer (I don't know if that matters) and ive been making the transition to a fully organic/no chemical home. I make my own laundry detergent/housecleaners and have all organic dish soaps, baby wipes, toothpaste... you name it. Anyway, in my quest ive noticed some people stating that baby powder (think like, Johnsons talc powder) is bad for babies and yourself now.

Im wondering who here uses baby powder still, and if its still okay to use? The Johnsons and Johnsons one only has "talc, perfume" as their ingredients. Why is it bad/why is it good still? Im confused lol.

It is not advised against. I may be wrong but I think for kids it was for inhalation and for grown
Women it causes cysts and has been linked to uterine cancers when used intimately.

Thanks - I read about the investigation for ovarian cancer, now I have no idea if I should be using it or not. Everything changes so often!

Talc is known to increase the chances of developing ovarian cancer in women and has been widely research. The capstone study came in 2003 when the prestigious journal Anticancer Research released their large scale review of 16 previously published results concerning the risks of talc and cancer. The analysis of studies involving almost 12,000 women indicated a 33% increase in the risk of developing ovarian cancer in women who used talc near and around their genitals.

So, it stands to reason that you wouldn’t want to put this near your child’s most tender regions whether they are male or female. Further issues that parents often encounter when using talc baby powder are bladder infections. Talc turns pasty when damp, and can literally block urine from being released and result in a variety of infections in the region.

The fragrances are also known to cause alot of problems as well.

I use a GMO free cornstarch powder personally and love it. I cloth diaper so I just make sure to add the powder before putting the new diaper under, rinse dirty diaper thoroughly, and wash them nightly, to prevent build up.

We use talc after each bath sparingly. I didn't know there was anything wrong with it? I put it directly onto my hands and then into his creases to make sure they're properly dry. I try not to cover his genatiles too much as my mam warned me it could cause a rash and I don't spray directly into him as it gets everywhere and I'm worried about inhaling it.

Pros - it seems to settle him, he smells gorgeous, it drys his skin properly (fat baby problems)

Didn't know there was any cons?

It is not advised against. I may be wrong but I think for kids it was for inhalation and for grown
Women it causes cysts and has been linked to uterine cancers when used intimately.

This was supposed to read , 'it is now advised against'.

I honestly wouldn't touch the stuff. I too have a fat baby and have no problem patting dry his rolls.

hanni - yeah, do a google search, tons of stuff comes up. Now you can find corn starch powder (The Honest Company has really lovely stuff) but I know what you mean, the johnsons baby powder smell is incredible lol.

Thank you everyone for your input! I will stop using the very little I used before. I was always very careful with it, but I don't want anything bad on myself of my baby. Its amazing how times change, my mother said she used to just sprinkle me with like as if it were seasoning and I was a little turkey lol.

Im not concerned about diaper rash (im very diligent about my diapers) but for the little baby rolls - should I just do a double check that she is not damp still?

Thanks again for the amazing info. :)

This was supposed to read , 'it is now advised against'.

I honestly wouldn't touch the stuff. I too have a fat baby and have no problem patting dry his rolls.

I can never seem to get them properly dry.

Had no idea talc was bad though, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I'll let my OH stick to using it on himself instead now.

I never needed anything but we didn't have baby rolls. However we did once use liquid powder.

I never found the need with DS. Very few rolls. DD, a different story. I use cornstarch baby powder and I am careful not to puff it up so she can breathe it. I have always heard talc was bad, I have only ever seen cornstarch powder here.

I have never used, and would never touch, talcum powder. Sophie was a very fat rolly baby and I would just let her be naked after a bath and pat all her creases thoroughly.

I was amazed at how much stuff came up about it when I googled it! I had no idea. I threw all mine out - and I haven't missed it. Thank you girls for the input! Im amazed things can be sold still without warnings or anything - guess its my fault for not reading first huh!! :dohh:

It’s difficult to rely on Google sometimes as so much comes up you don’t know if it is right or not, but I do know that baby powder has been advised against by NHS midwives for at least 8 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->