baby products - your opinions

mummybean

1st trimester
Reaction score
I have been reading about Johnson and Johnson and as someone who loves their products im a little concerned about some of the stuff found in their baby products. Equally they have advised that they have removed alot of the concerning chemicals.

In short I don't know what to believe or what to purchase... what are u ladies doing?

I used Johnson and Johnson on my other 2 with no problems but this time I am going with burts bees just because I like the more natural approach.

I use Gaia products because the ingredients list is short and I'm familiar with everything on it.

I'm not usually so wary of these things but I have terribly sensitive skin and it seems my LO might too.

There are a lot of natural options if you're skeptical. :)

J & J makes Aveeno, as a heads up! I read articles about how they contain triclosan and will be steering clear of them. Probably going with burt's bees. It's still semi-affordable.

J&J also tests on animals. I am not a huge PITA fan or anything but I don't see any reason to test of animals like that. I found a brand made in the usa out of California thats call "Sesame Street" made by the blue cross laboratories that I have used on myself to see if I like it enough to use on my baby and I have been pretty happy with it.

I have bought a lot of Burts Bees products, they are natural & smell really nice too! I also have a few baby creams from The Body Shop.

Am using asda head to toe wash for sensitive skin.

Also bought liquid talc and bottom balm by avent in a toys r us sale for 99p each so will see how that goes.

Babies don't need loads of products on them. Water for the most part is more then enough.

Never used Johnson's products. We don't give baby a baby until 4 weeks and just top and tail with water with a little top and tail soap once a week.

Never used talc or any kind of cream on them. Love the natural smell of babes too much and they both have always had lovely skin.

I didn't put much thought into it with DS1 and bought what was readily available which was J&J or simple products and he never had any issues with it. This time we wanted to go for something more natural and have bough a couple of CJ's baby products. Babies really don't need much in the way of baby toiletries though and I would personally like what we use to be more natural this time.

We'll just use water for the first few months, and if baby get really mucky will probably just use whatever products we have already! I don't really understand why baby needs baby branded stuff - I always wonder if it's a bit of a marketing exercise and it's all made in the same way just with different perfumes added?

I really don't see the point in putting all those ingredients on a baby, and adults either for that matter. Coconut oil is amazing (and edible) for the skin with anti-bacterial properties, some UV protection and smells naturally good. Keep it simple. As for washing, water works fine at the very beginning. Using something like Dr. Bronner's unscented soap is good. All that other stuff is just irritating. No wonder so many people suffer from allergies.

I used J & J when my first was born, she went into a rash so I never touched it again (its a common thing to happen too!)

We use coconut oil and plain soap x

With all of the foster babies we have raised, experience with about 17 different little ones...80% reacted negatively to J & J shampoos, bubble bath and lotions all the way up to age 4.

Once I stopped using J & J, the terrible rashes stopped. We always tried it, because we were not reimbursed to cover our expenses in FOS adopt. I had to switch 80% to more expensive products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->