Baby pulled a blanket over her face, I feel terrible

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Emma fell asleep while on a walk in her pram, she had a sort of heavy blanket over her. I parked her in my bedroom, which is right next to the living room where me and the other kids were watching TV. The blanket was up to around about her armpits and her arms were on the top of it.

I kept thinking I could hear something but that it couldn't be Emma, because she's so close and is always loud and easy to hear (door was open). Anyway I felt like something wasn't right so I went to check on her, she was screaming and had pulled the blanket up over her head and then gotten the corner under the side of her head somehow (how does a 10 week old do this?!!) she was covered in sweat and tears and her face was bright red.

I've never had this happen and never had blankets with my other babies, they were swaddled in wraps that had zips and Velcro and born at a totally different time of year when it was hot in New Zealand. It was the middle of winter when Emma was born and it's warmer now but still chilly sometimes walking in the rain and wind. She's never been swaddled so always has her hands free.

I feel so totally rotten, she could have easily died and I might not have heard her and the whole thing is all my fault. She's fine and happy now and smiley but what a dumb idiot I am.

I don't think I'm ever going to have a blanket anywhere near her ever again :-(

This happened to me once when my daughter was a few weeks old and we were riding in the car. She had a blanket on tucked in under her arms. I realized I hadn't heard anything from her for a few minutes, so I looked in the mirror and saw that she had the blanket completely over her face! Of course I pulled over immediately and pulled it down. She was fine, still sleeping. How in the world did she get it over her face like that? What if I hadn't noticed for a few more minutes? Or god forbid until we got home 40 minutes later? It makes me feel so guilty to think about what could have happened. Actually I feel like I have almost killed my kids several times since my son was born. Unfortunately, I think it's just part of parenthood. We can't be perfect.

You need to give yourself a huge pat on the back for listening to your mummy instinct and going and checking her :flower:

Next time maybe out her in a pram suit or I loved Magic Merlin sleep suits on my little boy (he slept better in them too which was an added bonus!) or even tuck the blanket under the mattress at the bottom securely or something.

Things happen and she's ok which is all that matters :hugs:

Oh bless you - it wasn't your fault. How scary for you x

You're not a dumb idiot at all hun, don't blame yourself. That must have been so scary though :hugs::hugs:

Try not blame yourself, you wasn't to know :hugs:

Glad she's ok though x

These things happen. Try not to beat yourself up.

Can you get cosy toes for the stroller over there? I never saw them when I lived in the US but they are very common in the UK.

I am dumb! No harm in admitting that. I'm so glad she is ok.

Yes we can get cosy toes, I live in New Zealand :), they call them boot covers here for some reason (covers boots on feet? Since when do babies wear boots?!).

My father in law died last night and never got to meet Emma, so a sad time here, I'm not beating myself up over the blanket thing but life really is precious and I appreciate the beauty of my kids even more so now.

That must have been really scary :hugs:

I am glad she is ok :)

So sorry to hear about your FIL

Sorry to hear about your FIL

Don't beat yourself up as pp said you listened to your instinct and that's what made everything ok.

I don't know if you can get them there but tuppence and crumble star wraps are excellent, warm but not too much and easy to get baby in and out of especially handy when going in and out of shops etc we got ours second hand on eBay and it's been brilliant.

Most things can be found online if not in stores, I'll have a look thanks.

She has never been swaddle and always liked her arms free, a big change from my other kids. Sophie wouldn't sleep at all without being swaddled till she was 8 moths old!

Most things can be found online if not in stores, I'll have a look thanks.

She has never been swaddle and always liked her arms free, a big change from my other kids. Sophie wouldn't sleep at all without being swaddled till she was 8 moths old!

There are probably some on eBay too. It's more of a blanket/pram suit thing that basically folds over each arm and leg it's not swaddle like, ds1 wouldn't be swaddled either :thumbup:

Here it is I can't fine a photo of ds in it (lost loads when I changed phones) but he was really happy in it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161001-094309.jpg
    Screenshot_20161001-094309.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 10
Definitely don't do the blanket unless theyre swaddled tight or you're constantly watching her... mine is barely 3 weeks old and can drag the blanket up to her face!

Dont beat yourself up hun, with every baby its diff! Blankets are ok to use, i only use the breathable Cellular ones just incase she gets all arms & legs flaring & it gets moved around :hugs:

Don't beat yourself up, we have all been there! When Isla was about that age she was sleeping in the pack n play upstairs while I was downstairs doing laundry. There was a blanket hanging on the opposite side of the pack n play from where she was sleeping. When I came up from doing laundry she had somehow spun herself around, wriggled to the other side of the pack n play, and pulled the blanket down onto her face, and then fallen back asleep! It was a knitted blanket with widely spaced holes so she could breathe, but it really freaked me out and we never had anything hanging off the pack n play ever again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->