Baby Rhys is home at last

Doodles

Reaction score
Hi ladies, well the past few weeks have been pretty scary but hopefully we are past the worse.

At 34 weeks the midwife notced baby heartbeat was missing a beat occasionally so I was refered to Birmingham Womens hospital for a fetal echocardiogram. This showed babys heartrate was running abnormally high at 201 bpm and he had 2 holes in his heart. I had to stay in a few days and they managed to control his heartrate by treating me with medication, so stabilising him at 155 bpm.
I was discharged long enough to attend my brothers wedding and have a long weekend at my parents in Poole before being readmitted. At 36 weeks I had high blood pressure (possible Pre-Eclampsia), borderline Gestational Diabetes and was also anaemic so it was decided it was best for me to stay in hospital in case any of this got worse.

On 12th August baby started having heart troubles again so it was decided to induce me and this is where the real trouble started!

To cut a long story short, I was in labour for 13 hours, gas and air were good, 3 shots of pethadine had no effect. Anesthetist was called for as I requested an epidural, 2 hours later a junior anesthatist turned up and sited the epidural incorrectly 3 times, an hour and a lot of pain later another anesthetist had a go and on their second attempt they got it working ok - however after 20 minutes I was only numb from my ankles to my knees - this is definately not where the pain was!!!!! So the midwife requested the anesthetic was topped up, but the junior guy topped me up with a 10th of the original amount which had only numbed my toes???

Consequently I was in a staggering amount of pain, very distressed by all the needles prodding and poking and babys heart rate had dropped to 80, and then it dropped away to nothing as they delivered me.

I had an assisted delivery (forceps and episiotomy ) and baby Rhys was born in a matter of seconds to an audience of 11 doctors, nurses, midwives, consultant etc etc (plus his daddy of course).
He was taken straight to the Special care unit where they kept an eye on him for a while and ran lots of tests. I was able to see him after a few hours and he was doing well.
His latest heart scan shows he has an open duct, the right side of his heart is enlarged and there is a narrowing of the artery which supplies blood to his lungs and the electrical pulses are a little irregular - but this is all treatable in time.

He has been discharged and we are now at home, the grateful and proud parents of an amazing little boy.

Attachments

• rhys 030.jpg
    rhys 030.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 135
  • rhys 018.jpg
    rhys 018.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 118
Congratulations on your little boy! I'm sorry to hear that he has heart problems - I hope they can be easily solved and that you're both healthy.

god bloody anetheasists sorry they messed that up. Congrats on your little man he is gorgeous.xx

Congrats on ur lil man, hes lovely. I hope his health problems get better and he has a long and healthy happy life xxx

And well done to the MW for spotting that problem, it could have been easily missed x

I bet you feel like a human pin cushion..bless.

Congrats.

How big was he doodles? he looks like a gorgeous little chunk, congratulations to you both.

hey wendy,

ive only just seen your thread, congrats hes gorgeous, i delivered in the womens and tommy was in their special care unit...what a long walk down that corridor ay? if id hav known i would have visited you, im literally 10 mins away from there...whats going to happen re his heart?

h x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->