baby shop wont refund my pram, can I do anything?

ukgirl23

Pregnant with a rainbow
Reaction score
I brought a mothercare my4 from a baby shop for £149.99 second hand, I loved it until I got it home and I started to hate it, I tried to like it but the more I tried the more I hated it... it was so flimsy and squeaky and stained, So I got a brand new quinny buzz 3 which I love, I tried to return the my4, we haven't used it, we've had it for literally 2 weeks just sat in the bedroom. She wont take it back though, she said she doesn't take returns on used items and that I have to sell it myself, so I went on ebay and gumtree and they are going for a third of the price!! I feel so ripped off... I'm so fed up, I needed the money back from the pushchair to buy the quinny dreami carrycot :( Is there anything I can do? or am I really stuck at selling it for just £30??? :/ :cry:

Hi
She may be right and not have to accept returns especially if you were able to see condition etc in shop. If your on facebook there may be some baby pushchair selling sites on there so you may get some more for it.
Hope this helps. X

thanks, yeh I see her point, I'm just annoyed that we haven't even used it and she wont take it back. I will check out fb x

Did u use a credit card and does she have the return policy posted anywhere

I used my debit card in a payment plan, I paid for it in 3 installments, she didn't say no refunds, I told her I change prams quite often and she said when I had finished with it I could bring it back and she would let me swap it out for a new used one to the same value or I could pay the extra. She told me about another girl who had brought one and changed her mind and taken it back so it seemed like I could return it if I needed to. x

I was going to say if you use like a visa or mastercard and the return policy isn't printed on the sale slip you could go back to your bank and file a charge back. Under visa and mc rules and regs she has to post that and can't not take it back if it falls into the return policy. So if your card has that logo on there and you did NOT enter a pin you can do that. (I worked for merchant services for like 4 yrs just stopped not long ago to be a sahm)

But I'm sorry that doesn't seem fair :( id make dh go down there :haha:

it's not fair is it? I learned a lesson here though lol. Thanks for the credit card advice, I had a Visa but closed it because I was over spending hehe xx

The my4's I was looking at on eBay and gumtree were going for much more than £30! Even without the car seat, most were going for around £100

they weren't selling though, the ones with bids were set around £30-£50

Yes hun you are within your right to take it back however the only thing beating you is that you waited two weeks. Fourteen days is usually the max by law unfortunately. If you take an item home and it doesn't measure up to what it was supposed to you can get a refund. I fight with shops a lot lol and usually win. Too many companies trying to take you for a ride these days xxx

If she has it clearly stated that she doesn't take refunds then really that's part of the contract you've entered into when you bought it. Sadly. However she may do it if you kick up a stink just to get you out the shop (I say that in the nicest way). Its annoying for someone who works in retail but when ppl scream and shout and fight a lot of the time shops will just do it to save having to deal with you any longer rather than you actually having any rights to the refund. If you don't mind that though you coul always try it.

she didnt mention about not refunding.. I said to her that I usually go through a lot of pushchairs.. Im a bit of an addict.. she said that if I ever changed my mind about the pram I could swap it for another one of the same price or pay the extra.. she never actually said she wouldnt refund it. I have listed it on gumtree now. I really hope someone takes it :( xx

NO, she is perfectly within her rights NOT to refund you.

There's no "law" of 14 days as a previous poster mentioned... Unless the item is faulty and was faulty at the time of purchase then she doesn't have to take it back unfortunately :(

That sucks, the quinny buzz is great though, that's the one I've bought. You'll get it sold, do you have any baby car booty sales near you? Try gumtree too. Good luck x

As a consumer you have the right to withdraw from the purchase of an item according to local and European Law within 14 (fourteen) days after the date the item is delivered. This applies to all items which are offered and purchased on this website. To withdraw from a purchase you must notify us by letter, fax or email to arrange collection of the item. There is no need to give any reason for the withdrawal however to exercise your right of withdrawal you must return the item in the same condition in which it was delivered to you within the above mentioned 14 day period. In order to ensure delivery to Whirlpool in the same condition, we will arrange for a carrier to collect and repackage the item in the dedicated packaging. Please note that you may be liable for the delivery costs of returning the item to us.

That's on a companies website, it was the best I could find on an ipad. If the item was much dirtier than you first thought etc and you changed your mind, it's common practice to return it. Why the pp had to be snotty about what I'd written I don't know, but that's people for you. I'm only trying to help.

she didnt mention about not refunding.. I said to her that I usually go through a lot of pushchairs.. Im a bit of an addict.. she said that if I ever changed my mind about the pram I could swap it for another one of the same price or pay the extra.. she never actually said she wouldnt refund it. I have listed it on gumtree now. I really hope someone takes it :( xx

It is a sucky situation. I hope you get what you need for it and as the pp said the buzz is awesome. I'm really happy with mine.

I would kick up a fuss. She can't just refuse you your statutory refund rights, even if the item is second hand. The pram turned out to be faulty, which wasn't apparent when you bought it.

ETA: https://www.money.co.uk/article/1002440-your-refund-rights-explained.htm

You've still got loads of time to demand the refund!

I'm not being snotty I'm pointing out the reality of why retailers will sometimes go against their usual policy. I am also attempting to help hence why I answered the question in the first place. Your opinion isn't the only valid or correct one.

Sorry ladies, sneaking in from second tri to have a poke around, but I was wondering - if she would have been willing to take the pram in exchange for another of the same value, or greater if you pay the difference would she take it back in trade for something else?
I'm guessing you probably have most of your baby stuff by now but is there anything you need that she had in her store that you could suggest trading for?

As a consumer you have the right to withdraw from the purchase of an item according to local and European Law within 14 (fourteen) days after the date the item is delivered. This applies to all items which are offered and purchased on this website. To withdraw from a purchase you must notify us by letter, fax or email to arrange collection of the item. There is no need to give any reason for the withdrawal however to exercise your right of withdrawal you must return the item in the same condition in which it was delivered to you within the above mentioned 14 day period. In order to ensure delivery to Whirlpool in the same condition, we will arrange for a carrier to collect and repackage the item in the dedicated packaging. Please note that you may be liable for the delivery costs of returning the item to us.

That's on a companies website, it was the best I could find on an ipad. If the item was much dirtier than you first thought etc and you changed your mind, it's common practice to return it. Why the pp had to be snotty about what I'd written I don't know, but that's people for you. I'm only trying to help.

This refers to distance selling regulations and items bought online/over the phone, not items bought in a shop unfortunately.

Store's don't have to offer a refund unless the item isn't fit for purpose. Unfortunately buying something and not liking it doesn't apply.

My partner is a manager in a second hand electrical shop. Up to 28 days you have the right to exchange for similar items, but at the managers discretion. So she doesn't have to unfortunately. You're only entitled to a refund within 28 days if the item is proven to be faulty. Consumer rights are slightly different in second hand retail, so thought I'd check with him for you. She doesn't need it displayed that she doesn't offer refunds, but, if she refuses an exchange, she needs it displayed that it is at managers discretion. Don't kick up a fuss, be amicable and she's more likely to be understanding. If you kick off with her or she feels threatened, she's more likely to get her hackles up and be equally as awkward/difficult. She's more likely to offer exchange/credit note as then she isn't actually ending up out of profit. Hope this helps, and good luck. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->