Baby signing

we had our first lesson this morning! I've used sign with work for years now but have taken ages to get around to taking P to classes, looking forward to seeing him respond.

I've been wanting to do this, but like everything else in the world, apparently I'm the only mum who doesn't drive!

ur not quite alone. im a non driver too.:flower:

I am also a non-driver. It can be hard sometimes :(

Well started the baby signing on Friday and Max spent the entire lesson staring at the lady doing the signing. He was so funny, he never took his eyes off her. I am hoping that means he is taking everything in!

I am unable to get into any classes because they are all full (bloody annoying cos I REALLY want to sign with Daniel. Anyway, my friend is in one of the classes with her 1 year old - has been for a while. She told me that she only goes for the singing because in her own words, she 'can't be bothered with all that nonsense at home'. She only uses the No sign, and even then admits that she often forgets or can't be bothered with that one. So now, I can't get in the class and really want to, and she is taking a place and can't be bothered to see it through!! :growlmad:)

Anyway - I have been teaching myself at home using the Dave Benson Phillips Makaton Nursery Rhyme DVD and the Singing Hands website/youtube videos.

He now smiles if I do the milk sign at him.

I use Makaton in work(adults with servere learning disabilities), so hoping to use it with little one, its amazing how the guys pick it up and if you've been off shift for a few days you can tell if the other staff have not been keeping it up as they forget it quickly. So even if your babies aren't doing the signs back yet I definatly believe that the more often and consistant you are with it the quicker they will learn :)

I do think there should be more classes though, its a shame they don't put more on

hello i'm probebly bein dumb but is this for sign Language??
have your Lo's picked it up quite quick or has it took a while?

hello i'm probebly bein dumb but is this for sign Language??
have your Lo's picked it up quite quick or has it took a while?

Jess, it is sign language yes, but you always speak the word as well as signing it. My LO took about 5 weeks to sign milk and another 4 weeks to sign nappy change. We haven't had any other signs yet but I'm sure they will come. The key is to sign words as much as possible :flower:

I'm not sure, but I think my LO has started signing milk to me!

Yay, go Gabriel!

I totally missed that LO had been signing milk :blush: She tended to do it when she was actually having a bottle, rather than "asking" for it. She now uses the milk sign to ask for a drink with her meals, and it's so cute :)

Yay, go Gabriel!

I totally missed that LO had been signing milk :blush: She tended to do it when she was actually having a bottle, rather than "asking" for it. She now uses the milk sign to ask for a drink with her meals, and it's so cute :)

Ooh Eala, completely OT but what car seat is your LO in? I'm trying to find rear facing ones (I know there is that big thread but its too long for me to find anything in lol)

Ooh Eala, completely OT but what car seat is your LO in? I'm trying to find rear facing ones (I know there is that big thread but its too long for me to find anything in lol)

We use a Graco DuoLogic 2 :) I bought it from carseat.se after advice from the lovely Hakan (who is the one who usually responds to e-mails there :))

We got it because it is suitable from birth, and our daughter is built on a miniature scale. Hakan did assure me that the ones which say suitable from 9kg would be fine too, given that she was nearly a year old (thus having perfect head control etc), but that we might find them a bit long for her. He was absolutely right, and even with the Graco, I don't need either of the extended head attachments on :blush:

I also like that it can be fitted with either IsoFix OR a seatbelt. Our current car doesn't have IsoFix, but our next one will, and my Mum's does. It's just nice to have the option there :)

Yay, go Gabriel!

That's what he's doing. Signing while eating. I was thinking how odd that he keeps opening and closing his hand like that and then :dohh: he's making the milk sign!!

Yay, go Gabriel!

That's what he's doing. Signing while eating. I was thinking how odd that he keeps opening and closing his hand like that and then :dohh: he's making the milk sign!!

That's exactly what Roo did :rofl: It was someone else who pointed it out to me, and boy, did I feel like a right wazzock :rofl:

What is the recommended age to start baby signing?

Tiny Talk is offered from birth :) I think at that age it's more to get you into the way of using the signs, but if LO is seeing them from the very first time they are paying attention to your hands (rather than your face) then it can only be a good thing :)

I started going with Roo when she was 3 months old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->