Baby Sleeping Advice

minip2p

Reaction score
Hello all, hope you don't mind me intruding but I've been looking at these forums for a few days and thought I'd join as there seems to be some good advice and info

As my username says I'm a father to be (bet you don't get many joining) anyway I have a question that I hope may be able to be answered...

We are being told that baby should be put into a moses basket to sleep at night and that this should be put into the bedroom with us, firstly is this what HAS to happen or is it one of the those old wives tails ?

It would cause us a slight problem in that our room isn't that big and to get a moses basket in and would be a squeeze, we was thinking of putting bab's straight into the cot when s/he comes along.

You don't have to but it makes things a lot easier and reduces SIDs.

No its not an old wives tale its for safety SIDS(cot death) is the main reason. I will be using a moses basket for the first 6months then after 6months the risk drops alot so he/she will go in own room in cot!

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that - I obviously know of SID but thought that was to do with baby getting too hot, covers covering face and things like that and the heel to foot of cot thing as well

We're planning on using the "baby bag's" if that is the right name for them, so we don't use blankets at night, anyone know if they are best or a waste of money ?

You can do whatever you think is best ... its your baby after all.

You could co sleep, have them in the moses basket in the same room as you or put them straight into their own room. You just need to do what is best for you all.

i put jessica in her moses basket, then put that in the cot lol :-/

i put jessica in her moses basket, then put that in the cot lol :-/

Yeah that's what we did with Charlie bu tthen his cot was in our room anyway so...:lol:

The idea behind having baby in your room for the first 6months is that you are accutely aware of thier breathing patterns, even during sleep. Any change in thier rhythm and you'll notice it. If baby is in another room then obviously you aren't going to be aware of it since you can't hear them breathing! :D

Sleeping bags can be useful but you should make sure that the neck hole is the right size for your LO to prevent them from shuffling down.

Hope that's useful to you and welcome to BnB. :D

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that - I obviously know of SID but thought that was to do with baby getting too hot, covers covering face and things like that and the heel to foot of cot thing as well

We're planning on using the "baby bag's" if that is the right name for them, so we don't use blankets at night, anyone know if they are best or a waste of money ?

It's not known what causes SIDS but evidence from research has led to guidance to help reduce the risk, one of which is to have the baby in the room with you for the first few months (recommended for 6 months). I think there is a suggestion that alongside other things, the baby actually takes breathing cues from the mother (or I guess parents) that might keep it on track. Together with the other stuff others have posted about.

Makes it a shorter trip to get up for night feeds too!

Our bedroom is a tight squeese too-but can just about fit the moses basket in-but once baby grows out of it-we have no choice but to put him/her in their own room in cot. i hope by then the baby will be old enough to be ok. I need to seriously look at monitors/walky talky things over the weekend.

https://www.fsid.org.uk/reduce-risk.html

Very interesting reading too.

I've always had mine either in a crib or cot in our room till about 7-9months:baby:

yeah if space is limited put baby in moses basket in the cot in his/her room - but make sure you get a temp monitor - i have one of those grow egg thingys to give me an electronic reading of temp - it changes colour when to hot

I read an article awhile ago that said to make sure that the moses baskets, bassinets, carry cots, etc have a really firm mattress in them. One of the concerns expressed was that they may not have the same firm support that is also important to reduce SIDS.
I can't for the life of me remember where I read it though. I'll try to search online and find out.

We brought one of those grow eggs over the weekend-already got it plugged in so i can start monitoring the room temp!

There is no point in obsessing over the room temp as it changes with the seasons anyway and you can't get it exact. When my youngest was tiny the room was 35C in our bedroom where he was. We couldn't do anything about it and he was fine. You just need to know that if it feels hot then put less bedclothes on them. There is only so much you can humanly do and no matter how much you do you will still worry!!

I always use a moses basket for about 8 weeks but that because mine outgrow them that quickly!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->