Baby suddenly not feeding?

Kitters

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

DS is 8 weeks old and for the past 24 hours has not been eating. He doesn't 'reject' the bottle as he doesn't spit it out or pull away, he roots for the teat but then just lets it sit in his mouth. He sort of half heartedly suckles but is not actively sucking, and so no milk is getting in to him at all.

He is otherwise perfectly happy (weird, because you'd think he'd be screaming his head off with hunger), and so I can't figure out what's going on. If he was fussy or actively rejecting the bottle, I could assume teething, not feeling well, reflux, frustration over flow etc, but it's more like he all of a sudden has no need or desire to eat. I've tried different teats, flow, positions, temperature, powdered and pre-mixed formula, but nothing 'external' seems to be making any difference.

I took him to the Health Visitor this afternoon, but she couldn't really offer any advice because of lack of other symptoms, and so just gave me a little cup to try him with so that some milk gets in to him and he keeps hydrated. By using this I've managed to force a whole feed in to him this evening, but obviously this is not really a great solution.

Has anyone else ever come across this? I've Googled it to death and there's lots on babies refusing the bottle, but this seems different.

Ds went of his bottle for quite some time at 8 weeks but I strongly feel that was to do with his injections as exactly the same happened after his 16 weeks one although it lasted days rather than weeks that time.
Has your LO already had his injections or is he still due them? ��

Just to add ds was the same, he was still happy, wasn't screaming, he literally went from 30-36 ounces a day to under 20. He picked back up again and now has 30oz at the exact time everyday, he just seemed to settle in to an exact routine and apart from a few days after his 16 week injections we haven't had a problem since :)

Exactly what pp said ds2 didn't feed properly for over a week after the jabs I'm not sure if it's the rotto or men b but whatever it was he was the same after 16 week jabs too. Keep an eye on wet nappies and see gp if it continues (your probably already doing/planning this).

Esme still does this every so often and i've never found out why. It used to worry me so much but now it more frustrates me! Thankfully she's weaning and also taking water but all I can say is ride it out. Keep offering a bottle, using the cup when he doesn't suckle and check for other symptoms, wet nappies etc. If ever really worried and he shows signs of dehydration get a doctors opinion :hugs:. Hope he takes the bottle again soon for you lovely.

That new (well it's new to me) oral rotavirus vaccine is horrible! Emma had hers at 6 weeks and 13 weeks and both times she was miserable for a good 24 hours.

Hope your LO is feeding ok now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->