Baby too heavy?

Wtbam

Reaction score
Hi all!

I had a growth scan today at 34+3 and the baby measured fine on her stomach circumference and leg length (within the limits).

However, the tech looked at the chart and said her estimated weight is 6lbs 3oz - this seems an awful lot for my gestation! Should I be worried?

Doesn't seem too far off to me. Plus, ultrasounds tend to be inaccurate and can be off by up to two pounds... Babies grow at their own rates, too, so keep in mind that your baby isn't going to grow at an average rate.... She might grow more one week and less the next and that's fine

Ah ok. Thanks very much for the reply. I feel better now :)

She probably had a growth spurt and will slow down now :) but also keep in mind that I've seen a lot of techs be off on baby's weight by 2 lbs

Don't worry about the weight estimate. They can be off by a little or off by a lot. The same can be said about how baby can measure -/+ 1 week of the number of weeks they tell you on the u/s.

I've also heard that even if it's a big baby, it is the position of the baby rather than size/weight that contributes to how easy the baby comes out.

I had a scan at 35+6. Baby measured 7lbs 2oz. Came out at 39+5 weighing 8lbs 7oz :flower:

Sophie was estimated at 7lbs 8oz at 36 weeks. She arrived at 39+2 and was 7lbs 15oz :)

I know you hear about scans being off (saying babies are bigger than they are) but sometimes they can be right on or under the actual weight. My last two children measured large but they were born larger than expected 8&9 lbs at 37&38 weeks.

My 34+2 showed him already 9lb +

My 35+4 babies were all born 7lb 2oz

I guess we really don't know until they arrive how accurate the scans are. Hoping mines is way off!!!

My baby at 32 weeks was said to be 5.5 lbs and I was a little freaked out but my doctor didn't seem concerned about it at all. He said babies tend to take after their parents and my hubby was almost 9lbs. I have GD but wasn't watching it at the time because I had just found out.

Just had another growth scan at 35 weeks and some change and he was 6lbs 2 ounces, I think he just had a growth spurt earlier on. His tummy and head measured big at 32 weeks and this time his femur and head measured a tad big. My husband has a big head so we suspect genes for that.

No need to freak out :) as others have stated those things can be off and babies grow differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->