Baby wearing advice

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
I am probably better posting this in natural parenting but I thought I'd try here first.

I'm a size uk 18 and really want to give baby wearing a go. I have researched the benefits for mum and baby and I feel like (for me) its a must.
My only concern is getting a wrap that will be large enough for my figure. Moby wraps look so complicated, I love the look of mei tai wraps but everyone I have seen has been on a slim figured lady.

Can anyone recommend a good wrap that will suit a plus size mum? X

I was a size 18 when I had my ds and had a moby wrap which I loved, it's a bit fiddly the first time but then you can leave it tied up and just slip it bak on again. I only re-tied it when I wanted a new wrap position or it got a bit loose after dh used it.

Also had a Baby Bjorn sports carrier which was so comfy and really practical for going out.

We tried a baba sling but ds was so small that he slid down in it too much and he hated it!

Thank you, I think I will justo for the moby and get some practice in before baby comes xx

Have a look on Youtube!!

I also thought 'tieing a wrap - no way!!' but then started watching the videos and now I can't wait to get my Moby :thumbup:

I also have an Ergo Baby Carrier..........and wouldn't recommend Bjorn style carriers, not good for baby.

I had a moby with my first and I don't know whether I was just a bit fussy with the positioning of it but I didn't get on with tying it. The few times I had it on it was absolutely brilliant and LO loved it as a little baby.
I'm thinking about the caboo close parent carrier, it's a stretchy one similar to the moby but they've basically done all the tying for you and you only have to adjust the straps

I'm about your size and loved my Moby. It was just about long enough by the time LO was 4 or 5 months but we never actually ran out of fabric. :haha: After a few times putting it on, I found it really easy and convenient, especially as you can keep it on and put LO in and out as needed.
Like a pp said, Bjorns aren't great for baby, but I'd also highly recommend an Ergo or Manduca for when baby is a little older. For a newborn, I found the Moby by far the most supportive for baby and comfortable for me though.

I just wish I could find a shop that sells moby's so I can try it out.

I have seen two other ones I quite like to but again, I don't have a kiddicare near me.

Caboo OrganicDuoCarrierWineberryTwist

karime

And they have love ones on
https://www.littlepossums.co.uk/slings/wrap-slings.htm

x

What about a woven wrap in size 6 or 7? Do you gave a local babywearing group where you can try things out?

What about a woven wrap in size 6 or 7? Do you gave a local babywearing group where you can try things out?

to be honest, I never thought of looking into a baby wearing group but i have just looked online and there is a sling library about 20 minutes away from my house where you can hire a sling for two weeks to ''try before you buy''. I will be contacting them tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice xx

I've seen plus sized women using mei tai carries. They seem to be pretty adjustable.

I'm about your size (was a size 16 pre-pregnancy but I still have a bit of baby weight left) and I fit a moby wrap just fine. I'd definitely recommend them or a similar stretchy wrap (Kari-Me, etc.) for a new baby and getting used to baby wearing. It really isn't all that complicated. It takes practice (I practiced with a doll before my daughter arrived), but you'll get the hang of it soon enough. I can't recommend it enough. It's made life SOOOO much easier and parenting so much more enjoyable. We are now moving into using a woven wrap (size 6 or 7 works), which is a bit more complicated, but again, you get the hang of it with enough practice.

I learned how to tie the moby wrap on just by watching the videos on the moby website, but my local sling meet was also really helpful when I wanted to explore other types of wraps. Someone will help you learn to put it on and help you adjust it and make sure you get the one that fits you best. Definitely worth a visit!

I wore a Moby for the first month, it was awesome and not nearly as complicated as it looked. After the first month I found mei tais to be more comfortable and easier to use. A lot of them are sized to fit either mom or dad, so I would expect that you wouldn't have a problem at size 18. I made mine, but my DH (6'4" and 240 pounds) and I (5'11" and 170 pounds) had no problem sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->