baby wearing query

Weenie19

Reaction score
Hi

I used to baby wear my newborn but stopped at about 4 months as he was too big for the Chico carrier I had bought.

I've found my eldest wanting to use the pushchair more recently and I dont want to buy a double pram. So.......can I baby wear a 9 month plus baby and what kind of carrier would I need for this? A wrap etc??

Many thanks

I wear my 23 month old, so definitely possible! There are plenty of different options, so it'll come down to what you personally prefer. You might want to check to see if there's a local babywearing group near you; usually they have different carriers or wraps for members to try, or other babywearers will let you try theirs if you ask.

I bought a Tula Toddler and I'm completely in love with it! It doesn't even feel like I have a 23 lb child on my back, and it's so sturdy. I even did a 5k race last month while wearing her. :)

A sturdy wrap would be great (check youtube for videos on different carries that'll help you feel secure).

Tula's are AWESOME! If you go with one stick to a standard size. It's not the weight that matters but the knee to knee spread. Until kiddo is in at least size 2T pants a toddler is just too big.

Not sure how big your guy is OP but I just snagged this one to compare with your old Chicco carrier - excuse my messy hair and no make up! This is my 19lb - about to turn 6 month old. I completely agree with Kitteh, Tula's are the best because they make it feel like kiddo is not even up!

They come in loads of adorable prints (this is actually Sweet Songs, but I had a camo cover made for it because I'm a hunter) and although they're initially a bit spendy they hold their resale value like nothing else. If you take care of it, chances are you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for, or more! Not to mention the convenience factor of not having to haul around a double stroller, something I understand completely as I have twins. They are super sturdy and very easy to use.

I have Girasol and Didymos wraps as well. There is a bit of a learning curve as far as different carries go but I promise it's not as hard as it looks. Cotton wovens are going to be the most affordable, supportive, softest and easiest to care for if you go that route (at least imo). There is a great Babywearing on a Budget facebook page where loads under $100 are listed everyday :thumbup:

Attachments

• tulaevan.jpg
    tulaevan.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 4
Definitely! I have a 27 month old and I can easily wear her and have since birth. I would recommend getting yourself to a sling meet if you can find one locally. Otherwise, it's really just about what you prefer. Personally, I like a woven wrap the best and it's always my first choice for comfort. But you might also prefer a soft-structured carrier like an ErgoBaby or a Manduca. I also have an Ergo it's probably what I would tend to use now just for ease of getting my daughter in and out because she's so much bigger (again, 27 months, much bigger than a 9 month old). I would steer away from the Chicco one though because it's not ergonomic, so will likely hurt your back, which is probably why you felt he was too big for it before, and isn't good for babies hips either. Anything that raises baby's legs up so the knees are close to hip level rather than dangling down is good, so really it's just about finding something that fits comfortably and also isn't more than you want to spend.

A sling meet would definitely help you find the carrier that is right for you :) I mostly wrap or use a soft structured carrier. I actually use a toddler-sized SSC for my 19 month old. And I have a preschool sized one for when she is even bigger. You can wear them for a long time.

Any mei tai style carrier would work well. An Ergo would be comfortable much longer than a basic one, but we still use a basic mei tai carrier to get our 2 and a half year old to nap... not that she stays there for the duration of the nap, but it's how she falls asleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->