Baby won't drink water

Weeplin

Proud mummy :)
Reaction score
I am having a lot of trouble getting Jason to drink juice or water. I have tried giving it to him in 3 different cups. A non spill cow cup, which he couldnt manage to even suck, an asda soft spout transition bottle cup thing and a tommee tippee first cup which is apparently suitable from 4 months.

As a last resort today I tried water from a bottle which he got upset at (think it confused him). He is getting minimal from the asda cup and when he drinks from the tommee tippee cup he sucks loads but then spits it all out.

I am worried as he is on quite a lot of solids now and is getting constipated. Anyone else had the same issue? Or can someone recommend a cup?

Rhys refuses too alot of the time, takes the odd few sucks when he fancies some babies get more thirsty than others. just keep trying he'll do it eventually. if your really concerned try water in a bottle.

x

Tried the water in the bottle, it just upset him. I will keep trying, thanks for replying. :)

hiya my little girl is the same, i've bought 3 cups and shes just not interested.i've recently started putting the cup next to her when she eats and shes finally started picking it up when she wants some so i think if they're thirsty they'l drink it,have you tried different flavour juices?my lo hates hipp juice but doesnt mind cow and gate x x

Perseverance is the answer.

It took me 3 months to get Hannah to drink water - I think its just a bit weird for them. Morrisons do a good transition cup with a soft spout and its the only one I could manage to get her to drink from. She just spits out anything from the tommee tippee one from 4 months, I think it lets too much out at once. She now has a proper tommee tippee non spill with the soft spout and loves drinking from it.

leyla was like this, i filled her beaker up with 8oz water then put half teaspoon of brown sugar in, once she took the water i put the sugar down to quarter teaspoon until she was drinking water by itself

or u can put 8oz water in and the tiniest little drop of not from concentrate orange juice, water is best for her but some babies dont like the taste of water, even i dont like tap water lol

x

Sorry there's no quick answer, it really is perserverence. Its taken us weeks and weeks to get Niamh to have water and now she loves it. We started with an open cup (niamh can't use a sippy cup as she can't suck due to cleft palate) and she loved playing in it but if she drank any she'd spit it out. We kept giving her a sip of water several times a day and now she loves it. We are now using a squeezy sports bottle (from h&m) we squeeze it in for her and she does actually swallow most of it.
I'd probably just choose one cup and offer it to him throughout the day. I'd probably avoid the non spill beakers as they are really hard to suck the water out and i also wouldn't use his bottle. My son would only ever have milk from a bottle and water from a cup!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and sorry for taking so long to reply! He has started to take a little bit more. I have mixed some warm boiled water with colder water and find that if it is not so chilly he is much better with it!

You could also try a doidy cup. My LO in almost 7 months and has his water in one and always smiles with delight when I offer it to him - reckon he thinks he's drinking like mummy and daddy do!

Obviously is very messy to start with, but he'll get the hang of it eventually!

Yeah I have heard about them, reckon I may look into them.

James will only drink it if its warm, have you tried that? He just spits it out unless its warmed up... fussy bugger !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->