Baby yanking my boobs around-thinking about weaning

Mapleroo

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, we are at the 5 month mark. My initial goal was 6 months and then reasess to see how we go from there. My LO has been doing it for a while now but has over the last 2 weeks or so has become quite painful. He will yank, pull and chomp on me so much so that I can't believe my nipples aren't 5 inches longer! Now it's to the point that it is also hurting inbetween feeds. So I am thinking of starting the weaning process (onto formula). Thoughts?? Experience?? Advice?? Talk me out of it?? I am seeing the health nurse today but after I had made the decision yesterday, I bought a couple of bottles but still haven't given them to him so I'm clearly still on the fence. My plan was to do it very slowly (one bottle a day for a week or two) and then gradually go from there.

When he does chomp and pull do you take him off and tell him no? Is he chomping when he is done feeding or does he do it through out? Maybe if you take him off sooner he will stop. You could try telling him no and putting him down when he does it and maybe he will learn to stop doing it.

I would agree with pp, the second he chomps down use your little finger to unlatch him and put him down for a minute. Then relatch etc. I had to do this when my lo starting teething at 4m, he quickly stopped.

Has he actually had any bottles yet? You may find he won't take to them. But you could try using a sippy cup, or perhaps a doidy cup, given he is 6m.

I would definitely try taking him off, without giving him any attention, first. You may find it works quickly.

Thanks ladies! He has been way better today. It seems he got wind of the fact I was considering weaning him and it smartened him up!

I've heard people say to push them further into the breast, they then stop. A health visitor recommended it to a person at a group I attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->