Baby's head measuring 5 weeks ahead of body....

susannah14

Reaction score
I had a scan yesterday at 33+4 to estimate fetal weight. His body parts consistently measured 32 weeks (which I expected because I have a small bump).

But then she measured his head like 8 times, and she muttered "That can't be right." So of course I'm freaking out thinking WHAT'S NOT RIGHT?!? And finally she said, "I've measured his head so many times and it keeps telling me 37 weeks."

This was only a tech doing the scan so she couldn't tell me what that meant, and my next doctor's appt isn't until next week. Has this happened to anyone else? Any chance his body could catch up? Are there any medical conditions that could cause a big head?? (She would have seen hydrocephalus on the scan).

I have a small head and my husband's head is a little big I guess but not huge. If he just has a big head then whatever, I'm just a little concerned that there might be something wrong.

I was told babies head was in 98th percentile and have been worried ever since as, like you, not common in my family etc. I would ask if you could speak to someone at the scanning unit as you are worried and you should have been given more information? Hugs to u, Im sure it will all be fine, my sister told me it could be down to the position baby is in and the angle etc. x

I cant see it being a problem. My Lo's head was on the 91st percentile at birth and his weight was 25th. He didnt look disproportionate at all!

I dont know at all, I would call your doctor or midwifes and ask for a quicker appointment or even a telephone consultation as you are worried. I'm sure if it was anything medical the tech would have saw it and it would have been picked up by now.
I agree with PP that it could just be the position and to be honest even if his head is a little
Bigger I really doubt it will be noticeable at all! A baby born prem at 32weeks doesn't have that much of a smaller head than a 37week baby, remember its only a matter of milimeters that can make a few weeks difference!

Xx

Thanks ladies, you're so right--it could be the difference of a few mm. So what, my baby's got a big head??! I can think of worse things.

Maybe I will call just to put my mind at ease. I have another week before my next appt. Like I said, I don't give a crap if he just has a big head. I want to make sure nothing's wrong.

I would call the dr and ask. My friends sons head was 97th but his body caught up. And if the dr has the results and hasn't called you, tgere must not be anything to worry about.

Hi, this might be outdated but I am doing a research online. Our baby is similar to your case. Head is 35 weeks and body is 31 weeks. What happened to your baby? And should we be worried?

Thanks!

If your baby is engaged in your pelvis or has his head low down it can make scanning a bit tricky. My girls head was measuring 3 weeks ahead of the rest of her when she was head down but she came out completely average! It's the same this time around - little boy is head right down as low as can be, scan was a bit tricky, his head is measuring 2 weeks ahead. I'm not worried :)

My sons head measured about 3 weeks ahead in every scan. He was 7pound11oz and he does have a biggish head but not abnormally large and he's perfectly healthy. I blame me! I have a big head

He did have to have forceps assistance getting out but I have very narrow hips

They sent me crazy with worry at scans for similar reasons, big head, short legs, etc etc, born at 8lb and yes his head felt big...!....but all good and a lot of worry on my part for no reason x x

You poor thing. I'm not surprised it worried you the way the tech reacted. However, it's standard practice for scans to be checked daily by a doctor to check there is nothing serious. I bet you any money the clinic would have called you with any concerns.

I bet you your baby has a big head because his/her brain is huge :)

Hi, this might be outdated but I am doing a research online. Our baby is similar to your case. Head is 35 weeks and body is 31 weeks. What happened to your baby? And should we be worried?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm the original poster :) I know I am late replying, but figured I would anyway in case it would help anyone else.

My little boy is perfectly fine. Even today he has a big head, in the 90th percentile (70% for height and 50% weight). It's just one of his traits. I did have some trouble birthing him and had to have an episiotomy. I'm pregnant again and just HOPING that the next one has a smaller head so I won't have to get cut again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->